Rev 2 turbo tin top, to be rev 3 converted and other mods

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

outrun

Rev 2 turbo tin top, to be rev 3 converted and other mods

Post by outrun »

This is my first mk2 and it replaces my short lived mk1.5.
I decided to get one of these, after experiencing the 3 that nails has owned - and the mk1 having a disappointing driving position in comparison - as well as being absolutely shot with rust!

I bought this a month ago, from West London and drove it back home to Sunderland via my mates in Taunton and another mates in Chesterfield.
The clutch slips a bit, but other than that, in the 1000 miles I have done, I have no complaints.

I really like the car.

It is a rev 2, with LSD and steering fogs, aftermarket springs on the original Bilsteins and a lovely sounding 5Zigen and decat, with some random 16" wheels.
It is running standard power ATM.

It was imported in 2007 and has spent at least four of those years, garaged and barely used. Came with loads of history (quite a few receipts from 3S, over here) too.

It has no rust - my main aim when buying one - and has the straightest sills I have ever seen on one. If they are replacements, they are very good.

Plans are to upgrade the engine to rev 3 head gasket and turbo, plus all sensors, ECU, loom etc (got these from SBITS and have questions, see below) and do a full service of all fluids, timing belt kit and clutch etc.

Bodywork wise, it does have a few chips and scratches, including a nasty key mark on the NSR quarter, but nails and I are going to machine polish and touch it up and see how it comes up.
If I can avoid a full respray, I will.

I plan a rev 3 rear spoiler and front lip, rev 3 rear lights, folding mirrors, amber indicators, reinstate the electric aerial and front plate brick, new wheels and that is about it.
Or maybe a ducktail and bigger front lip...

I have already done a few little jobs.
Have changed the white dials and horrible blue LED's for standard and removed the grille from the rear valance, fitted amber reflectors and UK wiper arms.

The car is now SORN and I will just be plodding on and hopefully it will be sorted for the fine weather, next year.

As bought
With mates lovely S14a on day of purchase
Crystal reflectors swapped for original amber and sticker plate thrown away. Would be nice to have all amber JDM again. We'll see
Second time lucky with the dials. We were surprised (and disappointed) not to find the original dial faces beneath the Lockwood things, when removing the Blue LED bulbs
The grille looked xxxx, bent up, so I decided to cut it off flush
Much better

A few parts to add to the pile, to be fitted
Folding mirrors
CT20B from the mk1.5
Rev 3 upgrade parts

Can anyone tell me if I need other parts, too?
nails says I will need rev 3 ignition leads and cap, what about the fuel rail and pump?

I asked Peter for the parts I would need to convert my rev 2 and he listed the parts he sold me, but now I wonder do I have everything?

I really need to check the how to...
craig

Re: Rev 2 turbo tin top, to be rev 3 converted and other mods

Post by craig »

Looks nice that mate, tuned in. :thumleft:

Regarding rev2 turbo to rev3 turbo conversion, you'll need:

Rev3 Turbo ECU
Engine Wiring loom
4 wire oxygen sensor
MAP sensor
MAT sensor
Ignitor
Water Temp sensor
IAT sensor
Injectors
Knock sensor
Rev 3 Turbo alternator

Knock sensor and alternator can be reused off your car, but you'll need to re-use your plugs on the rev 3 loom
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

If there is an idiot's guide for the rev 2 to 3 conversion I would be interested
outrun

Post by outrun »

RedMR² wrote:Looks nice that mate, tuned in. :thumleft:

Rev3 Turbo ECU
Engine Wiring loom
4 wire oxygen sensor
MAP sensor
MAT sensor
Ignitor
Water Temp sensor
IAT sensor
Injectors
Knock sensor
Rev 3 Turbo alternator

Knock sensor and alternator can be reused off your car, but you'll need to re-use your plugs on the rev 3 loom

Cheers, mate. I have all of that, aside from the rev 3 alternator, but swapping the plus shouldn't be a big deal.
Do I just stick with the rev 2 fuel rail, then?

I am sure a lot more of this will become clear, once I drop the lump out, but for now, I am just looking to gather info and parts.
Nails

Post by Nails »

He needs a bit of convincing to the world of plastic fantastic lads. We need to see skirts spats etc! :lol:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

outrun wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Looks nice that mate, tuned in. :thumleft:

Rev3 Turbo ECU
Engine Wiring loom
4 wire oxygen sensor
MAP sensor
MAT sensor
Ignitor
Water Temp sensor
IAT sensor
Injectors
Knock sensor
Rev 3 Turbo alternator

Cheers, mate. I have all of that, aside from the rev 3 alternator, but swapping the plus shouldn't be a big deal.
Do I just stick with the rev 2 fuel rail, then?

I am sure a lot more of this will become clear, once I drop the lump out, but for now, I am just looking to gather info and parts.

Will be good to see this conversion, you will notice a big difference :lol:
Not sure what the fuel rail set up is on rev2 but the rev3 has bigger injectors. Ive broken my rev3 turbo so if theres anything you need give me a shout :thumleft:
Also what turbo are you going to run?
outrun

Post by outrun »

Cool. Cheers, mate.

I could do with a passenger side headlight cover in black, if you have one in good order?
I remember Nails mentioning to me that you were breaking your car, now.

I have a ct20b there (think that's the name lol), salvaged from the mk1.5.
Are the downpipes different between rev 2 and 3 turbos?
I have a good XS Power there (from the 1.5) but the JDM one currently fitted would be the preferred choice, if I can stick with it.
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

For the rev3 conversion you need rev3 injectors in a bored out rev2 fuel rail :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”