[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension Replacement

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lictor

[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension Replacement

Post by Lictor »

I think this is the right board and using the search failed to give me any meaningful answers so...

My car's (Rev. 2 turbo import) front suspension has had it (And the back springs are not too good either). The shocks were leaking a while ago and now I am looking to replace all of it, as in upgrade, but I am not sure to what. However I don't want to harden the ride much more as I think the handling is pretty good as is. I would just be looking for a bit more responsiveness. The question becomes what should I get?

Do I get coil-overs, and the inverted shocks is an appealing idea, but what is the advantage of coil-overs when rated against the yellow Bilstein shocks? Bearing in mind I would not be looking for spring rates or dampening rates much different to stock. Which also leaves me with the question what are the stock rates?

Lastly I was tempted to go with stock replacements but the Yellow Bilsteins seem to be cheaper though I am willing to fork out a bit of money for quality. Anyone's opinion/experiences would be greatly welcomed.
Paul.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension Replacement

Post by Peter Gidden »

If you don't want to "harden the ride much more" from knackered OEM, that rules out coilovers.

Look at a Koni SSK, or Apex/Eibach springs and new stock struts.

Remember, since your struts have been doing notihng for years, even new OEM is going to feel firmer than you have now.

Return to “Modifications”