Rear brakes binding (not the sliders)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MilesH

Rear brakes binding (not the sliders)

Post by MilesH »

Hi,

On the road all is fine. On track after 3/4 laps the rear brakes are binding (both sides).

Running EBC yellows with backing plates etc retained.

Sliders in the calipers are free (and calipers all good), handbrake is not catching.

A search led me to possibly a failed brake proportioning valve. The fact it only happens under extreme load it has been suggested that the fact I have retained the backing plates etc on the pads there is not enough room to allow for expansion of the pads. All other threads talk of binding on one side or the other not both together.

Any other ideas/thoughts?

Thanks
gnzyza

Re: Rear brakes binding (not the sliders)

Post by gnzyza »

Could be the pistons themselves. Mine were not in great shape when I replaced the seals.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

or plain old crap pads? Binding I presume you mean they are staying on even after releasing the brake pedal? If the prop valve was gone then all your problems would be when using the brakes and be all gone when you released, sounds like your problems are when you release the brakes?
MilesH

Post by MilesH »

Yes, I took them out and noticed they had overheated. I can only assume they were binding on the disc. Wheels span freely before removing them in the garage. About 4 laps in I was noticing a reduction in brake performance and a slightly longer pedal travel.

Pads were new. The last complete set I fitted the rear wore down in half the time the fronts did. Both rears wore at the same rate just a lot quicker than expected.

Handbrake cables etc are loose and not catching. Sliders are moving freely.

If the Pistons were failing would I not have issues with pushing them in or leaks? And it seems strange that both would fail at the same time - although not impossible of course :) I replaced one caliper 4 months ago due to leaking seals so they are both on different mileage/use.

Raptor - is it possible that the prop valve could be failing and not releasing fluid from the rears and therefore causing the pads to bind?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

anything is possible, I had both headlight bulbs go at same time :pale: Are the pads sticking in the carrier? Maybe getting the extra heat from the track and expanding into the carrier and sticking then when they cool down all is ok? I wouldn't think it was the prop valve as I'd expect that to cause an issue on the road, would take longer but driving at 70mph on the motorway will cause a fair amount of heat if the pads are stuck on the disc cause the pistons didn't retract
MilesH

Post by MilesH »

raptor95GTS wrote:anything is possible, I had both headlight bulbs go at same time :pale: Are the pads sticking in the carrier? Maybe getting the extra heat from the track and expanding into the carrier and sticking then when they cool down all is ok? I wouldn't think it was the prop valve as I'd expect that to cause an issue on the road, would take longer but driving at 70mph on the motorway will cause a fair amount of heat if the pads are stuck on the disc cause the pistons didn't retract

Expansion is what I am hoping it is, and that by removing the back plates etc (like most seem to do) it allows a bit more room.

Thanks for the reply :)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

MilesH wrote:Yes, I took them out and noticed they had overheated. I can only assume they were binding on the disc. Wheels span freely before removing them in the garage. About 4 laps in I was noticing a reduction in brake performance and a slightly longer pedal travel.

Your problem is your pads. EBC are total crap, they burn up your disks and boil the fluid

Fit Porterfield, best pads you will ever use
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
2mad

Post by 2mad »

bobhatton wrote:
MilesH wrote:Yes, I took them out and noticed they had overheated. I can only assume they were binding on the disc. Wheels span freely before removing them in the garage. About 4 laps in I was noticing a reduction in brake performance and a slightly longer pedal travel.

Your problem is your pads. EBC are total crap, they burn up your disks and boil the fluid

Fit Porterfield, best pads you will ever use

I've still got yellows (they were on the car :eye: ) there so bad ... had carbotechs , there awesome .. looking into Porterfield.

Tricky problem (I would blame ebc :eye: ) .. hope you sort it :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”