Brake service items / fluid

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mikey637

Brake service items / fluid

Post by Mikey637 »

Copy and pasted from the OC

Hey guys, doing a bit of work tomorrow and need to bleed the brakes. I'm thinking dot 5.1? Which brand is the best bang for buck? Also going to pick up new slider bolts, boots to cover them and some coper crush washers for the braided brake lines, going to phone Toyota on my brake at work today to order but might be handy to have some part numbers ready.

Cheers :)
RazzyRascal

Re: Brake service items / fluid

Post by RazzyRascal »

Most people stick with dot4 unless they have uprated brakes and/or track their cars.

Having recently refurbed my brakes I'd recommend Camskill for the slider bolts as they're a lot cheaper than toyota.

Also, if your replacing boots etc why not pop the pistons out and give them a good clean and replace their boots as well as the sliders? While it's off it's worth thinking about as seized calipers aren't uncommon and you won't want to take them off again.

The brake refurb kits offered by bigred, toyota or brakes international have all the parts. Bigred offer the best deal.

As far as the braided lines go, they usually come with copper washers and banjo bolts, it's worth checking before you splash out. My wezmoto's did and we're pretty good value...cue the wezmoto haters ;)
Last edited by RazzyRascal on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

Going for 5.1 because I'm not sure what it's been bled with before so I'm playing it sad and giving it a good old flush. Brake likes were fitted but removed before selling me the car to "make it more original" or something? I have the banjo just needed washers.

How much of a pain is it to do the piston boots too? In Toyota now so may as well order them and return if unneeded
RazzyRascal

Post by RazzyRascal »

Mikey637 wrote:

How much of a pain is it to do the piston boots too? In Toyota now so may as well order them and return if unneeded

The piston boots aren't too bad. It's essentially removing the pistons and replacing the boots and retaining clips. If they havnt been done before it's shocking how bad it can look down there despite functioning ok. The sliders were the least of my worries.
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

MrT wanted £120 for just the rear slider kit so I only ended up getting the crush washers.

Tbh I've already got coilovers, f+r ball joints, drop links, front discs + pads, braided lines and bleed to do tomorrow. If I could get the brake lines off the stock struts without having to split them I'd leave brakes alone for a few months
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

I am using ATE super blue racing. Never overheated during autox and track days.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”