[Mk2] [NA] Power steering fault

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

F9_adm

[Mk2] [NA] Power steering fault

Post by F9_adm »

Hi my power steering has gone really heavy since changing my tyres, might be coincidence I suppose,

I read that changing the power steering relay often cures it but no joy on this occasion, any other ideas???
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Power steering fault

Post by shinny »

F9_adm wrote:Hi my power steering has gone really heavy since changing my tyres, might be coincidence I suppose,

I read that changing the power steering relay often cures it but no joy on this occasion, any other ideas???

Does the P/S light come on?
F9_adm

Post by F9_adm »

No not at all,

I know the bulb works as it lights up if you turn the key but don't start it all the warning lights Illuminate,
craig

Post by craig »

checked fluid?
F9_adm

Post by F9_adm »

I'm sure I have but I shall def. check again
shinny

Post by shinny »

Define "really heavy". The SW20's PAS isn't as light as most modern cars, but if it stops working it becomes horrendously heavy, to the point of which manoeuvring at low speeds involves a lot of labouring at the steering wheel.

If the PAS light shows when starting the car and turns off, there's clearly power going to the PAS system. If the light isn't coming on when the steering gets heavy then there's only one condition I'm aware of that stops the PAS working without showing the warning light, and that's abnormally high pump temperature.

Personally, unless your steering has become insanely heavy, I would suggest it's something related to the tyres fitted. Have you checked they're up to pressure? Was the tracking touched?
F9_adm

Post by F9_adm »

Defining heavy is tough it definitely still feels assisted but requires a lot mor work than usual to operate,

I haven't had the tracking done

And it feels heavy from the off so can't be temp related

When you start the car there nothing for about 10 seconds then it kicks in and is much better, I thought this May be a faulty relay so I bought one off someone on here but having changed it, there's no change

Return to “Mechanical”