other methods of removing crank pulley

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

other methods of removing crank pulley

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

It's been over a month since my cambelt snapped and i haven't had the time or motivation to get the crank pulley off since it happened.

I still cannot get the pulley off. I can't get a puller around it.

Any ideas?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: other methods of removing crank pulley

Post by Peter Gidden »

kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I've got a short length of steel bar that fits inside the pulley and has had 2 holes drilled in it in line with the two (M8?) bolt holes in the pulley.

Undo the crank pulley bolt, put a suitable sized socket against the end of the crank to act as a spacer, put the bar over the socket and put bolts through the holes into the pulley. Gradually tighten the 2 bolts to pull the pulley off. At some point it may be necessary to wind the bolts back out and swap the socket for a deeper one.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Cheap eBay pully puller does the trick. I can't remember or not if to gain more access i undid the engine mount on that side and lowered the engine on a jack.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Would you believe i've never needed a puller on any Toyota crank pulley in 15 years?

Equal pry bar pressure at both sides, and i do mean equal, and they come off quite easily, the second you apply even a few more lbs.ft to one side than the other and the pulley jams on the crank, a smooth equal draw does the trick.

The worst case i ever had was a rusted on one that needed some light heat, after that the equal draw method worked as before.

Literally hundreds of pulleys removed this way, it's user error, you're doing it wrong, especially when the pulley has not long since been fitted.
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Done dozens and also never used a puller. ^^^ good advice

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”