windscreen - DIY fitting

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

boondougal

windscreen - DIY fitting

Post by boondougal »

Has anyone done this themselves?

Mine smashed when it came out (5 years ago) found a reasonable priced new one so i was thinking about doing it myself.

Saving is not huge though so it depends how tricky it is really.
un1eash

Re: windscreen - DIY fitting

Post by un1eash »

I personally wouldn't try it as its bonded in and forms the structure of the car.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

I know what you mean but if in the course of restoring the car i have been prepared to "make" coil over suspension, refurb all of my callipers including every seal, weld up structural chassis areas and build custom bracketery to hold in aftermarket bumpers etc i would have thought that far more could go wrong with all than the risk of some structural stiffness from somehow getting the screen bonding wrong.

TBH the price of the job is looking too cheap to worry about it but i could pick up a brand new screen for 85 and in the spirit of self restoration i just thought i should at least contemplate it.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

It might be worth giving it a go then, get someone to help though as its pretty heavy and cracks easily it struck on the edge. My windscreen broke from a combination of rust along the roof line and a large pot hole.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

un1eash wrote:It might be worth giving it a go then, get someone to help though as its pretty heavy and cracks easily it struck on the edge.

Thats probably the No1 reason not to bother doing it myself.

hmm.. we will see.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's pretty easy to be honest, clean up the metal frame with a Stanley blade or wire wheel, panel wipe the surface down on both the screen and frame, insert the two plastic screen holders at the bottom (i add a dab of sealant to hold them in) , then add a 10mm high V shape of window bond the whole way around the screen and lay it on, refit screen trims.

Bonding the new screen in is easy, it's cutting the old one out that is the hard part.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Thanks Paul, i have all the hear bit done then.. i might just have a go.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”