Ignition barrel

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Superfly

Ignition barrel

Post by Superfly »

I have bought a lock set. The door locks were a straight swap. The ignition barrel however is different - the pin is at the other end! Is it possible to take the locking section out of the body so I can swap it over. I have taken the circlip off the bottom but it's not clear what that is actually holding in place. Is there a technique or do I put up with the extra key until I find another lock set?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Ignition barrel

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Got a piccy of the two together? :-k
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

Er, no. One's on the car. By 'pin' I mean the thing you push in to remove it. The one on the car the pin is near the keyhole. The replacement it's the other end and obviously won't fit. The lock moves in the barrel so I was hoping I could remove and swap them. Took the circlip off but no joy. What is that circlip for if it's not holding the lock in the barrel???
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Have you got the key in? As security feature you can only remove the ignition barrel if the key is in (unless you resort to breaking things!)
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

Yeah sorry, I'm not making myself clear. I replaced the door locks then went to replace the ignition barrel so they would all be on the one key. Took the 'original' barrel off the car and realised the difference between them - the locking pin on top. I have stuck the old one back in and I am using two keys. What I was hoping I could do was dismantle the barrel to swap over the locking mech inside. I have a feeling I cannot even though the loch mech does have some movement in the barrel.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Most odd, I wasn't aware that there were differences in the position of the locking pin between Mk1s. :(

The locks could probably be disassembled but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some fixings in there which are 'permanent', if you see what I mean.
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

They have 2 different ignition barrels one early and one late. I ended up changing the column as well

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”