Paul's Rev2 turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mullen

Re: Paul's Rev2 turbo

Post by Mullen »

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :cry:

What the hell did she hit you with, a Hummer?

Gutted for you mate... If you need an extra pair of hands give me a shout & as I said before my drive is always available should you need it.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Mcflurry wrote:Oh dear, that's annoying! Gorgeous looking car it was too. What wheels are they if you don't mind me asking? Never seen them before but they're rather nice.

According the paperwork that came with the car claims they are 17" League Midas. To be honest I was a bit worried how the handling would be with 17" wheels, but I think a previous owner must have spent some time getting everything setup correctly and it actually felt pretty good.

Paul
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Mullen wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooo! :cry:

What the hell did she hit you with, a Hummer?

Gutted for you mate... If you need an extra pair of hands give me a shout & as I said before my drive is always available should you need it.

Thanks Dave. The the weird thing is, I think it was just a Polo. I was stopped at the time with the handbrake on at the traffic lights on the junction of Penarth road and Hadfield road, which has a 40 mph limit, but from inside it felt more like I'd been hit by a tank than a little VW. I can only guess that she must have been going full pelt and not watching the road. Nothing else makes sense. But I'll never really know.

Paul
Mcflurry

Post by Mcflurry »

Pauln wrote:
Mcflurry wrote:Oh dear, that's annoying! Gorgeous looking car it was too. What wheels are they if you don't mind me asking? Never seen them before but they're rather nice.

According the paperwork that came with the car claims they are 17" League Midas. To be honest I was a bit worried how the handling would be with 17" wheels, but I think a previous owner must have spent some time getting everything setup correctly and it actually felt pretty good.

Paul

Never heard of that manufacturer but a quick google confirms I like.

I'm erring towards the side of caution with 16s. Can't afford to have trouble with some ill fitting 17s, even if i prefer the look.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Well her insurance company finally made me an offer by phone earlier this week, £1,449.75 after deducting salvage value if I wished to keep it.

I told them I thought this was an unacceptable offer for a low mileage turbo in exceptional condition prior to the accident, and was asked to supply a couple of current adverts to support my claim that it wasn't a fair market value. I sent them two adverts, one for a similar spec L reg tbar at £3,200, but without many of the nice mods on my own car, and another for £3,000 for a K reg tintop with higher mileage.

Having not heard anything back I was surprised to receive two letters this morning. One claiming that I accepted their valuation and was aware that their engineer had been to inspect it. Neither of which is true. The second envelope contained a cheque for £1,449.75.

Given this is a no fault claim, and I have not accepted their valuation at any point, this smacks of sharp practice to me.

If I do take the car to the body shop to get it returned to pre collision condition, its certainly going to cost well in access of their current offer. And from looking around at all the tubbys current for sale on the web at the moment, that sum isn't going to buy anything approaching the spec and condition of my current tubby.

I've just vented my spleen in a polite letter pointing this out to them again, and plan to send this and their cheque un-cashed back to them by recorded on Monday.

But before committing myself doing battle with her insurance company, I just wanted to check if anyone thought I was being unreasonable in turning this offer down.

Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD

Post by JD »

That's fraudulent - I'd get in touch with Trading Standards ASAP and document absolutely everything.
Nails

Post by Nails »

I agree its a crap offer but how much are they saying the car is worth in scrap value? Are they just giving you the weight of what its worth or are they taking into account that its worth more than its weight if broken?
You can accept that off as a intrim basis meaning you will cash that cheque but you arent settling for that amount in full.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

As far as I can see they are claiming that £1,695 is the actual market value of the vehicle, from which they wish to deduct £245.25 which they claim is the salvage value, so I assume that's just arrived at by weight. The actual net settlement figure offered is therefore £1,449.75, which isn't going to go far when it comes to repairs. Unfortunately the boot lid has been pushed back and over the rear edge of the engine lid, so I can't open either at the moment to see just how bad the internal damage is, but the boot floor looks in a bad way from underneath.

Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

How much is it valued at on your own insurance?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

£3,000, but that's not an agreed valuation, just one I supplied when I insured the car - it's actually what I paid for it.

Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

I'd want 2.5K & the car, from her insurance company then.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Well if they'd offered something on those line I would almost certainly have accepted, and tried to put the incident behind me and get the car repaired.

However as I now have it in writing that they claim to have had an engineer inspect the car and report that it's a write off, I guess there is at least nothing stopping me taking her to the local body shop now to really see what can be done to restore her to her former glory, whilst still pursuing the insurance company for a more realistic settlement.

Paul
Nails

Post by Nails »

You just have to be firm with them and although it'll be hard your examples of others for sale have to be as near as dammit in year spec etc.
Have you discussed any kind of personal injury claim at all with them?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Yes so far I've only found one L reg rev2 t-bar turbo for sale and that didn't have some of the nice upgrades that mine has. But I keep looking each evening in case something else crops up that's a bit closer.

Paul
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Pauln wrote:£3,000, but that's not an agreed valuation, just one I supplied when I insured the car - it's actually what I paid for it.

The value submitted when insuring a car has no contractual status.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I finally managed to get her insurance company to increase the valuation of my tubby to £2,500, which I've accepted.

Unfortunately the actual cheque banked today was for £2,000 as they have also increased the percentage deducted for salvage from just over 14% to a full 20%.

Whilst I could have tried to squeeze a bit more out of them, I felt I would be getting into diminishing returns and just wanted to move on.

So she goes into the body shop next Monday, and providing there are no nasty surprises when they strip her, work can start on getting my tubby back to the condition she was in prior to the collision.

At least I have the n/a to get around in in the meantime and am now glad I didn't try to sell the n/a earlier in the year, which was my original intention.

Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Just been to the body shop for an update. The car's now been stripped to reveal the true extent of the damage.

The two sides have been clearly pulled in as the back end folded.

From the side it's easier to see just how much the back has been pushed in

Resulting in making a mess of the boot floor

It's also put a kink in the floor towards the rear on the passenger side.

The rear panel is clearly in a real bad state, so we plan to replace that with a new panel that the body shop have managed to source. It's also going to have to go on the jig to get everything back in line, but at least the boot/engine firewall looks in fairly good shape, and the damage doesn't appear to have extended beyond the boot area.

The rest is labour, shopping for some tidy second-hand spares which he can then fit, before respraying the back end and finally putting it through an MOT.

Fortunately the guy who runs the body shop really rates MR2's, and has owned a couple over the years, which obviously helps.

At the back of the workshop he also has an immaculate frog eye sprite, which as it happens was my very first sports car many year's ago.

So if everything goes something like according to plan, I should have my tubby back on the road end of November or early December.

Can't wait.
Last edited by Pauln on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Those pictures look like they come from some horror movie..

So sad..

Hope you get it all fixed mate look forward to see her back to full health

:thumleft:
JD

Post by JD »

Really glad you can look on the bright side and have decided to fix :)

It actually looks like the car absorbed the impact quite safely, at least - although that doesn't make it any easier to fix.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I really didn't want to have to scrap her and start all over again. But because the boot lid was pushed up over the edge of the engine lid, I couldn't open either myself to see how bad things were inside, and that was really the worse part.

So today it was a big relief to find that the boot appears to have acted as a very effective crumple zone and stopped damage from extending further forward into the engine compartment.

But it still amazes me how much damage she was able to do with her Polo. I just wish there was video footage so I could get an idea of the speed she was travelling when she hit me.

Any way time to put all that behind me now, and look forward.

Paul

Return to “Member Profiles”