Boost Gauge Location

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jsturbo
Premium Member

Boost Gauge Location

Post by Jsturbo »

Im after a neat install for a boost gauge as i dont really want one on my pillar, id like to go for a more subtle look, possibly in the heater vents but will this not cause the problems ?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Boost Gauge Location

Post by Ryan S »

here's mine, it's a 45mm gauge from r-spec, to get it sitting flush you will need to take the lens off, it;s a 2 minute job with a flat headed screwdriver. it slots neatly on the stock location.

http://rspec.co.uk/performance-gauges/4 ... gn0k6lifh3

you won't get any neater than this, the omori ones look crap by comparison.
Jsturbo
Premium Member

Post by Jsturbo »

Thats great Sheppy that is exactly what im looking for, was it a hard job to fit and wire up behind there
craig

Post by craig »

There's also this one that fits in the stock boost gauge location:

Available in red or blue, it's a digital EMS boost gauge.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

js-car-spares wrote:Thats great Sheppy that is exactly what im looking for, was it a hard job to fit and wire up behind there

fiddly but i wouldn't say it was difficult, once you have the clocks out you can see where everything is supposed to go etc, think it took me about an hour :thumleft:
Jsturbo
Premium Member

Post by Jsturbo »

Cheers Red thats good to know there is options

Sheppy sounds very fiddly and im not very patient with things like this haha, hopefully i wont ruin my dials
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

js-car-spares wrote:Cheers Red thats good to know there is options

Sheppy sounds very fiddly and im not very patient with things like this haha, hopefully i wont ruin my dials

it's not too bad man, just pop a wee hole in the back of the clocks and run the wires, the gauge is a perfect fit, the only tools i needed were a flat headed screwdriver to get the lens of the gauge and a philips for the trim screws,no more difficult than fitting any other gauge, there's also this option......

this is my boost controller which doubles up as a gauge, this was a bit more tricky as you'll need a dremmel, an hour to fit :thumleft:
Jsturbo
Premium Member

Post by Jsturbo »

Mate thats impressive, i like where the boost controller is never seen that done, id miss my clock though haha
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

js-car-spares wrote:Mate thats impressive, i like where the boost controller is never seen that done, id miss my clock though haha

took me ages to get used to the clock not being there :lol: admittedly, i wouldn't use this as my only boost gauge, it's not practical to look at in that location, i find my eyes reeeeeally being off the road when i do, honestly, get the 45mm one and just go at it, it's honestly no more difficult than fitting any other gauge, the clocks are only 4 screws and they're out, it just seems daunting due to having to take off so much trim, i reckon if i was to fit this gauge again, i could do it in 20-30 minutes :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

js-car-spares wrote:Mate thats impressive, i like where the boost controller is never seen that done, id miss my clock though haha

I have my Blitz DSBC in the clock location, but I'm putting a clock back there, as i'm sick of not having a clock in the car. #-o :lol:
Jsturbo
Premium Member

Post by Jsturbo »

sheppy wrote:

took me ages to get used to the clock not being there :lol: admittedly, i wouldn't use this as my only boost gauge, it's not practical to look at in that location, i find my eyes reeeeeally being off the road when i do, honestly, get the 45mm one and just go at it, it's honestly no more difficult than fitting any other gauge, the clocks are only 4 screws and they're out, it just seems daunting due to having to take off so much trim, i reckon if i was to fit this gauge again, i could do it in 20-30 minutes :thumleft:

Its not so much the removing im used to all that , its just because i dont want to break my clocks :roll: i get abit heavy handed sometimes, but ill give it ago. I really couldnt live without a clock though would drive me mad, i wouldnt mind trying to make a boost controller to fit where the little compartment is on the lower right side by knee area
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

js-car-spares wrote:
sheppy wrote:

Its not so much the removing im used to all that , its just because i dont want to break my clocks :roll: i get abit heavy handed sometimes, but ill give it ago. I really couldnt live without a clock though would drive me mad, i wouldnt mind trying to make a boost controller to fit where the little compartment is on the lower right side by knee area

that would be really easy to do, i doubt you'd break the clocks mate, you could take them out, they are sturdy, the speedo,rev counter etc are all screwed in seperately, 2 screws to get the boost gauge out then slot the new one in, then put back in :thumleft: i have a clock on my stereo so i got over the clock thing pretty quick :D

so daunting :lol: :lol:
Jsturbo
Premium Member

Post by Jsturbo »

sheppy wrote:
js-car-spares wrote:
sheppy wrote:

that would be really easy to do, i doubt you'd break the clocks mate, you could take them out, they are sturdy, the speedo,rev counter etc are all screwed in seperately, 2 screws to get the boost gauge out then slot the new one in, then put back in :thumleft: i have a clock on my stereo so i got over the clock thing pretty quick :D

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8326_n.jpg

so daunting :lol: :lol:

Ill give it a go see what happens haha, the taking apart bit is easy im used to that, had a fair few mr2s in the past and changed a horrible blue interior to complete black interior that was fun :pale:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ach, you'll get on fine then mate :lol: :lol:
Draven

Post by Draven »

RedMR² wrote:There's also this one that fits in the stock boost gauge location:

Same as mine.. :mrgreen: Looks awesome when its on. Can't seem to find any pictures though
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://widebodymr2.com/images/Digital-b ... 28x410.jpg

Same as mine.. :mrgreen: Looks awesome when its on. Can't seem to find any pictures though

it is a nice gauge, my problem with this is that it looks totally out of place with the rest of the dials :(
Draven

Post by Draven »

sheppy wrote:
Draven wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://widebodymr2.com/images/Digital-b ... 28x410.jpg

it is a nice gauge, my problem with this is that it looks totally out of place with the rest of the dials :(

Ah i've got TRD dials with the plasma glow thing.. doesn't look as bad.
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:
Draven wrote:

Doesn't really matter too much as the clocks are still symmetrical. Great boost gauge though.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:
Draven wrote:

Doesn't really matter too much as the clocks are still symmetrical. Great boost gauge though.

yeah, would be amazing if you could get a speedo, rev counter, fuel and temp gauge to match it, the dash would look amazing :shock: :shock:
craig

Post by craig »

It would, but I'd prefer this:

or this:

=P~

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”