[Mk2] [Turbo] Chargecooler pump mounting options

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Chargecooler pump mounting options

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote:Less additional weight at the back of the car = winning \:D/

Does the GT4 charge cooler system have a swirl pot? That would be my only concern about mounting the pump up front if it doesn't.

why would it need one if it was mounted at the front as opposed to the rear?? surely there wouldn't be a lot of room for water sloshing around? genuine questions, it's hard to come across sincerely on here sometimes :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

I'm thinking in the stock system the reservoir in the charge cooler itself acts as a header tank, and helps prevents any airlocks into the pump (and so damaging the pump).

On the radtech system you normally mount the swirl pot directly above the pump for a similar reason.

With the GT4 chargecooler on the engine in the back, with the coolant lines then running the length of the car to the pump in the frunk, with no swirl pot in the frunk, you may be risking airlocks (especially if the coolant lines drop down under the car, then back up to the pump itself).

That would be my concern anyway :-k
Last edited by ashley on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

sheppy wrote:
ashley wrote:Less additional weight at the back of the car = winning \:D/

Does the GT4 charge cooler system have a swirl pot? That would be my only concern about mounting the pump up front if it doesn't.

why would it need one if it was mounted at the front as opposed to the rear?? surely there wouldn't be a lot of room for water sloshing around? genuine questions, it's hard to come across sincerely on here sometimes :lol:

Hugie Green had the same problem when he was a member on here Sheppy

For those of you who aren't old enough to get the joke check out his strap line on oppertunity knocks :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote:I'm thinking in the stock system the reservoir in the charge cooler itself acts as a header tank, and helps prevents any airlocks into the pump (and so damaging the pump).

On the radtech system you normally mount the swirl pot directly above the pump for a similar reason.

With the GT4 chargecooler on the engine in the back, with the coolant lines then running the length of the car to the pump in the frunk, with no swirl pot in the frunk, you may be risking airlocks (especially if the coolant lines drop down under the car, then back up to the pump itself).

That would be my concern anyway :-k

hmmm, i get what you're saying, i thought the system would be under pressure the whole time though, much like the cars cooling system :-k grrr, i think i'll just mount it on the gearbox for now, i have to fab up a bracket to mount it anyway so i'll make sure it's as high off the ground as possible. :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

The chargecooler water temp shouldn't ever get hot enough for it to be under the kind of pressure that the engine coolant system is.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Marf wrote:The chargecooler water temp shouldn't ever get hot enough for it to be under the kind of pressure that the engine coolant system is.

yeah i know that, i just meant not a lot of space for air to go down the pipes, i mean the core is kind of flat and there would be enough water in it so even if the water was subject to a big of G-force, it's not gonna create an airlock regardless if the pump was at the front or the back. :-k
shinny

Post by shinny »

Marf wrote:The chargecooler water temp shouldn't ever get hot enough for it to be under the kind of pressure that the engine coolant system is.

Ah, yes... but it's not just temperature that causes pressure. The coolant level dips as you pump turns on (if you your the ST205 engine manual it explains this and instructs you to fill to system with the pump running) and if you have an expansion bottle extra coolant will be drawn in from there. However that does leave the system pressurised when the pump turns off.
Marf

Post by Marf »

But my point stands, the CC coolant pressure shouldn't ever get to the levels of engine coolant unless something is wrong.

Lets put it another way, I ran a 205CC for 30,000 miles with no overflow and had no issues with leakage, coolant expansion out the overflow or overheating.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Marf wrote:But my point stands, the CC coolant pressure shouldn't ever get to the levels of engine coolant unless something is wrong.

Lets put it another way, I ran a 205CC for 30,000 miles with no overflow and had no issues with leakage, coolant expansion out the overflow or overheating.

Well, Toyota fitted a 0.9bar pressure cap on the core and an expansion bottle to catching something or other that escaped past the cap.Their documentation also talks about rises and falls in coolant level within the core as the pump stops and starts.

I can imagine that a system that has only been filled with the pump off will do a good job of pumping air in and out of the expansion bottle... but that system isn't actually full according to Toyota's instructions.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Marf wrote:But my point stands, the CC coolant pressure shouldn't ever get to the levels of engine coolant unless something is wrong.

apologies, i worded that badly, i didn't mean that it got up to anywhere near the same pressure as the coolant system, i just meant that it's a pressurized system similar to the cooling system, basically the water flows around the system at pressure.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Zombie bump... I've posted a new thread about attaching the GT4 pump to an aftermarket stainless steel cancer bar: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=185918

Another option to add into the mix :thumleft:
Last edited by shinny on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Excellent Shinny, I shall have a nosey :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:Excellent Shinny, I shall have a nosey :thumleft:

I came back to this thread a few days ago to double check my options but there's no satisfactory alternative suggested to hanging the pump off the gearbox... so I made one! :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinny wrote:
sheppy wrote:Excellent Shinny, I shall have a nosey :thumleft:

I came back to this thread a few days ago to double check my options but there's no satisfactory alternative suggested to hanging the pump off the gearbox... so I made one! :thumleft:

Yeah i'm not overly keen on putting it anywhere near the gearbox, just for reference does the pump have to be at the lowest point? I'm using a PWR pump. I'd like to have it in the frunk or somewhere the weather is off it!
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

You asked the same question in your original post and all these posts still nobody has answered. I can see why you want to know the answer, would make where to mount a fair bit easier. I would hazard a guess and say it does not really matter?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

gnzyza wrote:You asked the same question in your original post and all these posts still nobody has answered. I can see why you want to know the answer, would make where to mount a fair bit easier. I would hazard a guess and say it does not really matter?

Haha, I didn't even realise, Obviously asking again as I still don't know, does anyone actually know? , It would depend if the pumps were gravity fed (like a fish tank filter pump) which requires bleeding etc, I guess I could chuck my pump on 12volts with some hoses etc and see what happens. It does seem silly to me to have a gravity fed pump as they really really are a total pain in the sack :(
shinny

Post by shinny »

OK, I'll answer now I can do a good job of it...

My pump is no longer the absolute lowest point on the system... that's now a point on the pipework somewhere under the middle of the car. But the back of my car was up on ramps when I refilled and bled my charge cooler meaning the pump was at least a foot higher than the lowest point. Did that make it difficult to fill or bleed? No, not a bit! In fact, partly for reasons I'll explain below, it was a doddle :thumleft:

I would certainly not advise having the pump at the top of the system - not only do you want to keep weight lower down in the car, but you don't really want the pump to try shifting air and keeping it lower will help with that when filling / in case of slight loss of coolant. Low is good but don't get hung up on making the pump the absolutely lowest point.

That said, I have an advantage with bleed - I mounted my pre-rad upsidedown so the radiator's drain point is actually a bleed nipple. I would recommend thinking about one too if you're fitting a new system.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1585753
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Aww that is some great feedback Mark cheers, so I guess as long as the swirl pot (or the place where you fill up the system) is at the highest point it will be ok, I will most definitely fit a bleed valve of some description if my pre-rad doesn't already have one!

Just checked your link, I have the same pre-rad :)
Last edited by Ryan S on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:Yeah i'm not overly keen on putting it anywhere near the gearbox

There's nothing wrong with my location next to the gearbox, given that the GT4 pump is designed to be mounted at the bottom of an engine bay! I can understand wanting to protect a more fragile pump from the elements though :wink:

I've also kept the pump in the engine bay because it's on a wiring loom connected directly to my ST205 ECU. If that's not a requirement for you then mounting under a headlight up front is a no-brainer. There is space under the headlights and, at least on the passenger side, threaded holes (used for the aircon receiver) to create a mounting point. It's also exactly where you'll be running pipework through.
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:Aww that is some great feedback Mark cheers, so I guess as long as the swirl pot (or the place where you fill up the system) is at the highest point it will be ok, I will most definitely fit a bleed valve of some description if my pre-rad doesn't already have one!

Just checked your link, I have the same pre-rad :)

The ST205 core itself acts as a swirl pop - give it an overflow pot and Robert is your mother's brother!

Return to “Modifications”