Cambelt tensioner bolt - reverse thread?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Adam W

Cambelt tensioner bolt - reverse thread?

Post by Adam W »

Hi folks, I am halfway through a cambelt change and thought the worst (crank pulley removal) was behind me. However I have got stuck on the little 10mm bolt that holds the cambelt tensioner pulley in place. It's the 12-point one with a "needle" sticking out of the top for crank timing reference. Is it reverse thread or something? I have put as much force as I dare on that spindly little thing and I'm terrified of snapping it off in the block.
I had this issue on my LS400 and that WAS a reverse thread - I only found out after I exploded the casting that it was screwed into . . .
jon_st205

Re: Cambelt tensioner bolt - reverse thread?

Post by jon_st205 »

Standard thread. The bolt itself is fairly beefy so if you can avoid rounding it you should be okay to give it bit more welly. If you're replacing the bearing anyway, stick some heat into it.

Jon
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Standard as stated above,

done lots of cambelts but I can't quite think what you mean by 'needle' for crank timing??
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It has a pointer on the tensioner bolt that aligns with the crank pulley notches to indicate the ignition timing.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”