My supercharged Panda thread!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsporter

My supercharged Panda thread!

Post by Tsporter »

Mini project/log thread for my 87 mk1 SC...

Picking her up:

I was a happy man on the initial backroad drive home, couldn't get the smile off my face till I got on the motorway....she is very loud cruising at 120!

01/11/13 - 134k km, fuel filter changed.
Plugs and oil/filter ordered.

.......to be continued!
Tsporter

Re: My supercharged Panda thread!

Post by Tsporter »

My mk2, which i just sold :-(, and my mk1 SC.

Last edited by Tsporter on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Mileage just gone 134k km.

So I tackled the stuck oil filter again today, but this time I came prepared:

The filter tool on the left was kindly loaned by TurboD, but unfortunately it was the wrong size, it's 80mm when 62.5mm is needed.

The chain tool is grand if you have space to work with, but the mk1 has zero so I couldn't even get that to tighten on the filter.

Then I tried the strap. Again space was limited so I had to perform some contortionism and tighten it on with a vice-grips. Once tight I only had about 2cm of space to turn it so loosening, moving and retightening went on for a while. I had the blood drain from my arms a few times and almost had a nap under there but eventually she budged and off she came to my delight. I borrowed that strap tool but I'm definitely gonna buy one, its the only man for the job, worked for me before on another car. I wouldn't have stuck a screwdriver through the filter if that failed, it was going to a garage.

So in went the 10w-40 synthetic oil and new filter.

Plugs were well due a change: went with NGK BCPR6EY-11

She's starting easier and seems a little smoother on tickover, no time for a spin today. :-(
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

To do list:-

- replace blown dash bulb
- wiper switch repair ( http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/wipersw ... witch.html ). Waiting for my soldering iron to arrive,
- get some mats
- check the brakes
- coolant flush ( Toyota for life coolant )
- get missing window trim and boot trim
- gearbox oil, dunno if I can do this myself...?
- get good car cover for the winter
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Gearbox oil is easy enough to do. The #1 tip for that job is to make sure you undo the fill plug before you undo the drain one. It's not unknown for people to drain the oil then find that they are unable to get the fill plug off and are left with an immobile car until they get it sorted!
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

Lovely looking car mate, I am jealous of those wheels!

Seems to be very tidy, have you had it long?
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

kaiowas wrote:Gearbox oil is easy enough to do. The #1 tip for that job is to make sure you undo the fill plug before you undo the drain one. It's not unknown for people to drain the oil then find that they are unable to get the fill plug off and are left with an immobile car until they get it sorted!

Cool, I had a google and found a guide and it looks straigh forward enough!
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Red Wedge wrote:Lovely looking car mate, I am jealous of those wheels!

Seems to be very tidy, have you had it long?

Thanks, the wheels are reps, they were on when I bought it, only have her a couple of weeks now.
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

I'm missing some trim, can anyone point me in the right direction? Very few if any breakers over here...

Here's what I need:

SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Tsporter wrote:I'm missing some trim, can anyone point me in the right direction? Very few if any breakers over here...

Here's what I need:

That piece is one long piece, so it looks like yours may have snapped. It was a right bu88er when I replaced mine - don't bother calling Toyota, from memory they wanted £100+ excluding VAT.

Look on eBay or message one of the chaps breaking a car, but don't message Neil Jones or the chap who lives in Llanadog or something like that as he's a rip off merchant or post up in the wanted section on here.
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:

That piece is one long piece, so it looks like yours may have snapped. It was a right bu88er when I replaced mine - don't bother calling Toyota, from memory they wanted £100+ excluding VAT.

Look on eBay or message one of the chaps breaking a car, but don't message Neil Jones or the chap who lives in Llanadog or something like that as he's a rip off merchant or post up in the wanted section on here.

Cool ill look into that thanks!
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

I'm planning to do a coolant flush next week before the proper cold kicks in. Been round a couple of places looking for "a good brand of ethylene-glycol base coolant" as recommended by the Toyota Repair manual. It's like I'm the first person to ask for such a thing... The system takes 12.8 litres and it's dearer than I thought it would be.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:
Tsporter wrote:I'm missing some trim, can anyone point me in the right direction? Very few if any breakers over here...

Here's what I need:

Its bolted on from the inside also, don't do as I did and try and pull it off which ended up snapping the end of.
stenky

Post by stenky »

Yes, bolted from inside and the studs there are pretty long, so you will need long sockets.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

From memory you need a 10mm long socket which is one of the reasons I ended up buying one - however while I was in the scrapyard removing it I found long nose pliers worked - but took a long time.

I always use Toyota 4Life coolant - expensive, but good.
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Thanks for the tip guys, I would have definitely broken it!

Re the coolant...

Would you use this http://www.carplan.co.uk/index.cfm?product=113 ?
It says ethylene-glycol based on the back, and is conveniently ready mixed. But it's blue, does that make a difference?
I can get 12 litres for €28 which I think is good value...especially compared to the Toyota stuff at €80.
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

I picked up a few missing bits of trim for the car the other day... I'm still missing one piece over the drivers door which are pretty rare I believe. I think they get broken when people are removing them.

Before: this is one long piece that's attached from the inside by 6 long bolts. It's very easy to snap if you didn't realise there were bolts.(Thanks for the tips above lads). Unfortunately my dome light connections broke when I was fixing this.

After:

Your man also threw in a carpet that was fit for the bin but i gave it a quick scrub and it came up fairly well, not perfect but it'll do as I had none.
Before:

After:

I'm still missing this piece:

I assume this is a delimiter?

Image =P~
Donato

Post by Donato »

I'm sure I hear some 90's euro-house playing in the background :mrgreen:

Looks bloody good :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”