Falken Azenis FK-453

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

afennell
IMOC Organiser

Falken Azenis FK-453

Post by afennell »

I seem to be struggling getting my usual T1r tyres, had anyone experianced the above as an alternative?

Also thinking about the conti sport contact 3 .
gavsdavs

Re: Falken Azenis FK-453

Post by gavsdavs »

afennell wrote:I seem to be struggling getting my usual T1r tyres, had anyone experianced the above as an alternative?

Also thinking about the conti sport contact 3 .

I've happily used 451s/452s on my mk2, not tried 453s yet.
Pretty good..
Donato

Post by Donato »

T1R's are no longer being produced by Toyo. When i sourced a rear set of 225/50/15's back in July, i had one of the last few available from Black Circles. But tried a lot of places.

They are bringing out a replacement, but nothing confirmed as of yet i don't think.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

thanks guys :thumleft:
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

I've been like you for years always had t1r but this time I'd used all my track spares and road sets so had to find alternatives I went for the ziex 912s and I have to say they are better in the wet than the t1r tyres and seem to hold the road well in the dry.

Best advantage is they don't have the wobbly handling when they are brand new like the t1r do.
Donato

Post by Donato »

I don't know how legitimate this site is, but:

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyreInformat ... 1VT1R.html
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

I would tread carefully ordering the t1r atm I was looking for a good couple of months. Alot of websites were saying they were instock but I was phoning them to double check which they wasn't.

Worth a call though, I haven't seen that website above before.
cosmos

Tyres

Post by cosmos »

Consider
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
Uniroyal Rainsport 2 or 3 which looks excellent.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Falken 912 are a bit long in the tooth and not their premium model - I've used them before with no issues, but the 452 is an excellent tyre - their previous flagship model that I have on my MR2 and BMW.

If the 453 is as good as the 452 then it is a really good piece of kit.
tommullin

Post by tommullin »

try camskill.co.uk i just got 4xuniroyal rainsport3's for £51 each delivered. not in the best mr2 size (theyre for a diesel civic) but still 205/55/16.
Ricardos

Post by Ricardos »

I have the 453's on the rear for 1,5 years now (235/40R17) and these are my second set tires. They have excelent grip in dry and very good grip in wet conditions.
They seem to wear a bit faster then the Toyo's I had before but I think thats because of my driving style :lol:
Nic

Post by Nic »

afennell wrote:I seem to be struggling getting my usual T1r tyres

You could try EARS they sourced me some Toyo T1R tyres a few months ago at a very good price. Contact Mike at [email protected] tell him Nic pointed you his way as he said he'd do members a good deal.

I tried Ears back at the end of July and said they weren't able to source them anymore.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Donato

Post by Donato »

Nic wrote:

You could try EARS they sourced me some Toyo T1R tyres a few months ago at a very good price. Contact Mike at [email protected] tell him Nic pointed you his way as he said he'd do members a good deal.

I tried Ears back at the end of July and said they weren't able to source them anymore.

I tried Ears at the end of July, who weren't able to source any T1R's anymore. Same story, were in stock online but didn't actually have any stock.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

The Conti sport contact you mentioned in your OP is vastly superior to any other tyre mentioned. I'd get them.
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

Donato wrote:
Nic wrote:

I tried Ears at the end of July, who weren't able to source any T1R's anymore. Same story, were in stock online but didn't actually have any stock.

Same here, I tried them end of September however I needed them for the nurburgring trip I did beginning of october. The guy I spoke to at ears mentioned that they may be coming beginning of November so I guess its worth asking the question.
Harold

Post by Harold »

woz_106 wrote:
Donato wrote:
Nic wrote:

Same here, I tried them end of September however I needed them for the nurburgring trip I did beginning of october. The guy I spoke to at ears mentioned that they may be coming beginning of November so I guess its worth asking the question.

Has the T1R not been discontinued?
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

This is what I thought ages ago hence why I bought about 3 sets a year or so ago by the sounds from the chap at ears they arnt, but I think they have. Worth asking though
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

woz_106 wrote:I've been like you for years always had t1r but this time I'd used all my track spares and road sets so had to find alternatives I went for the ziex 912s and I have to say they are better in the wet than the t1r tyres and seem to hold the road well in the dry.

Best advantage is they don't have the wobbly handling when they are brand new like the t1r do.

That original wobbly handling is awful and got me by surprise the first time.

Thanks for the updates.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

I went for the Eagle F1s in the end, so far im very pleased.

I have not done very many miles but they seem to offer more grip than the Toyos and grip from the start as well not the usual flat tyre feeling the toyos used to give.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”