[Mk2] [Generic] Sills.... a sticky???

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BrianUK
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Generic] Sills.... a sticky???

Post by BrianUK »

Hi all
With the number of members we have registered on this site, and the number of 20 yr old cars we have, there must be enough of us now in need of sill repair to justify someone tooling up to make a full length repair sill for the MK2....

Any chance we could have a sticky on this site on the off chance it might persuade some company to come up with one???

The MR2 IS a cult car - lets not consign them all to the scrap heap for the sake of rotten sills!

Oh Yes - and count me in for a set!

1) Brian !
Last edited by BrianUK on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leonkehoe

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Sills.... a sticky???

Post by leonkehoe »

Good shout!
Ste2

Post by Ste2 »

+1

Has to be some ££££ to be made here!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

I think someone was looking into it. I know there are templates kicking about.

Can't remember where I found this image but this is the sort of kit that I would love to buy.
Torero

Post by Torero »

MrTwo does some sheet metal fabrication and in stainless steel.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=173570

He'd be ideal if he was up for it. I would certainly look at funding a few of these if the price was right.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
BrianUK
Premium Member

:)

Post by BrianUK »

As I said I think that there are enough MR2s in need of sill repair to make the production of a kit worthwhile.

And once a kit was available - the actual cost of doing the fitting / welding work would come down too ;) - hopefully!

Will contact MrTwo now :)
BrianUK
Premium Member

Post by BrianUK »

That image comes from:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/198/126803.html

a guys called TrevMK2?

anyone know him? :)
uglee

Post by uglee »

I had both sills completely replaced at a local bodyshop. They used Fiesta sills AFAIK.
The problem with the sills is the outers are the simple piece to replace, if your inner sills are gone there are many other repair pieces that are required and for someone to tool up to produce them en mass would be very expensive.
The end product would likely be expensive to recoup the investment and then everyone would decide to go for sills off other cars as the proper repair panels are too expensive.

These are the Fiesta ones on mine, luckily my inner sills were pretty good. The sills aren't perfect but the difference between £400 and £1800. The former option would have meant the car would have been broken. I need to mask off and rattle can the lower lip of the sill like they are from the factory, but this is how it looks:

I'm on the lookout for some skirts but at least I know what's behind is strong and rust free!
BrianUK
Premium Member

Post by BrianUK »

I'm trying to track down the templates used to make the metalwork shown in the photos earlier.

If I can find them I'm sure I can get them manufactured at a very competitive price :)
tommullin

Post by tommullin »

ive got the templates for those, the ones he posted anyway (i dont think it was a complete set...) i printed them off, cut them out of steel and then fabricted my sills from scratch. its really quite easy once you get started, i can post some pics of how we did it, but might not have many on the actual fabrication side. i think i still have the templates in steel rusting in the corner of the garage somewhere.

anyway, if you want the template .pdf's then pm me and ill email them to you when i get a chance. (just one person please and they can host and post them). however, i would recommend taking out the rust, replacing anything that has started to go with new using the cardboard template method (or tape for the compound curves).

cheers,

Tom

Return to “Mechanical”