[Mk2] [Turbo] Mr2 brakes and best track set up??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2turbojosh

[Mk2] [Turbo] Mr2 brakes and best track set up??

Post by mr2turbojosh »

Hey guys and girls! Iv got an mr2 mk2 rev2 import turbo! Now next month I'm going to the nurburgring with some friends! Iv just been given £2000 as inheritance money!! I kinda want to get my car setup, with brakes, suspension and possibly for now an inter cooler! What would you suggest?? Mintex/ebc tien/dc/bilstien etc....

The car other than a japseed exhuast system, ssqv dump valve, and a fuel cut defender it's pretty much standard!!

My friend is the smug type, he's got an BMW 328sport with an exhaust system, a 326 inlet manifold, and his is on coilovers !!

I'd really like to wipe the smile off his face and big 1 up for all the jap fans!! ;)

So any help or advice would be great !! :) thanks
Nic

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Mr2 brakes and best track set up??

Post by Nic »

I'd start by making sure the car is in good working order.

Full service; fluids, plugs, filters, etc.

Decent quality set of tyres.

Get the suspension checked over and have the geometry/alignment setup.

Check the brake calipers are in good working order; if they haven't been serviced for a while I'd strip them down and refurbish them or fit a set of rebuilt exchange calipers.

New OEM Toyota discs and a set of decent quality pads, braided brake lines, decent brake fluid and brake master cylinder stopper.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

This might interest you: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=140657

What size wheels have you got?

The 'ring is great, I had a great time there doing touristenfahrten in my n/a Mk2 up against my brother in a BMW E30 touring (but with a 3.5 lump transplant, slightly unfair that).

The 2.8 sport / manifold thing is interesting, my understanding is that BMW de-tuned the 2.8 sport because it was a threat to the M3's perfomance....but as you say the manifold from a differnt similar engine puts the power back!!! :mrgreen:

Have fun.....
Ste2

Post by Ste2 »

^ this

your going to struggle overhauling the whole susp/brakes/intercooler for £2k incl labour

tyres and alignment should make the world of difference for ~£450

If your going all the way to the ring might look at trackday tyres like toyo R888's or yoko AD08.. If you have standard rims (15") you might want to consider 16" plus (retain the staggered widhts) benefits to handeling are debatable but there is much more choice of tyre available for 16"+

ARB polybushes, thicker rear ARB and a front strut brace would be nice cheap/easy upgrades ~£250

as nic said, give the brakes a good check and service + toyota OEM discs, lots of recommendations for pads on here, depends what you want to spend and how much dust you can tolerate. ~250?

full service with OEM/decent stuff ~£150

Got to a grand pretty quick!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Stock brakes are great, never need to change to after market ones.
Just make sure they are all working well and fit the best pads and you will be good to go on any track
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Gotta agree with that. Stock brakes with Carbotec's are a particularly awesome combination.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.

Return to “Modifications”