belt advice

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

edt

belt advice

Post by edt »

Recently bought a 97 UK NA t-bar car, a private sale.

The belt has circa 10K miles left - I'm told (not found the invoice as yet.. came with a LOT of paperwork so need to trawl through it all). Am thinking of biting the bullet and getting it done now, possibly a bit early. Or am I being overly safe?
Advice welcome!!
Nic

Re: belt advice

Post by Nic »

edt wrote:Recently bought a 97 UK NA t-bar car, a private sale.

The belt has circa 10K miles left - I'm told (not found the invoice as yet.. came with a LOT of paperwork so need to trawl through it all). Am thinking of biting the bullet and getting it done now, possibly a bit early. Or am I being overly safe?
Advice welcome!!

The 3S-GE is non-interference, ie. if the timing belt broke the pistons shouldn't hit the valves. You could remove the timing belt cover and do a visual check of the belt for wear, cracks or fraying. On an unknown engine without paperwork to back up a claim then I'd replace it.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
chrisrev2gt

Post by chrisrev2gt »

I would do what Nic said take cover off if its looks in good condition don't bother why waste the money.
:thumleft:
edt

Post by edt »

Finally been looking through box of paperwork and See the belt has about 11k miles left however is about 5 years old. What the suggested lifespan of these belts
?
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Nic wrote:

The 3S-GE is non-interference, ie. if the timing belt broke the pistons shouldn't hit the valves. You could remove the timing belt cover and do a visual check of the belt for wear, cracks or fraying. On an unknown engine without paperwork to back up a claim then I'd replace it.

By design, yes it is, but I've seen plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise.

@OP with only 11k miles and a year left, I'd change it now. for how much it costs, it's pretty much a no brainer.
edt

Post by edt »

Ok. What sort of price should i around for.? Luke at Pacific works was ace doing my clutch and I expect pretty fair in price... An hour's drive each way but unless there's anyone nearer to Reading thats just as fantastic or a heap cheaper I'll probably be hitting the M25 pretty soon again!
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

You're best off contacting Luke directly for a price, but as with your clutch, it'll be fair :-)
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

I've changed mine twice in less than two years... So i suggest you to replace it as the other members already said

cheers!
RST

Post by RST »

It's a second hand car, the advice I'd give you, and I've seen forged paperwork, is always allow for a full service in the cost of the car -that includes cam belts, other belts, thermostat and fluids. If you ask me, just do it for peace of mind, you can't always tell from looking at a cam belt. Much better just to replace for peace of mind.
Soupdragon

Post by Soupdragon »

Ive been quoted £130 all in for my 1996 na.
Going to get it done when ive got some holiday soon.
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

I wouldn't judge the belts condition by looks. Ive seen belts that look "new" snap, and ive had experience of belts snapping even with "history" to say its been done. Do it for peace of mind.

With the 3S-GE i wouldn't be worried as much as i would with an interference engine. Even if you need to put it off and it does snap, it won't do any damage. My old upstairs neighbour had the belt snap on his rev3. He just slapped a new belt on and away it wen't, no internal damage.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”