Speakers

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sherwin1983

Speakers

Post by sherwin1983 »

Looking to upgrade the mr2 mk1 speakers any thing I should look out for? Sizes etc the standard ones sound tinny and one rear one blown.
kevs aw11

Re: Speakers

Post by kevs aw11 »

Hi
superRedmr2 on here is selling a system give him a pm
kev
ulysess1966

Speakers

Post by ulysess1966 »

There were good Alpine ones in the front of my car when I bought it and I've tried 2 other sets and they all sounded a bit tinny, even with acoustic wadding packed behind them.

In the end I built a speaker box to replace the centre console and disconnected the little rear speakers. There are a pair of good qulaity speakers in my box run off their own amp and they sound good.

I still have the front speakers connected and might take another look at door mounting them some way.

It's an 80s car and unfortunately 80s ICE was pretty basic.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Speakers

Post by Lauren »

3" rear speakers are just not big enough really to be any good. The story with the fronts is not much better.

But, maybe you could look at a 2 way coaxial in the front, but again 4" isn't really big enough. Guess you could spend decent money and see what you can get result wise.

I wouldn't bother with the rear ones, I would look at a slimline sub. It'll cost you but it'll be the only way to get some depth without trying to ask too much of the front speakers. You can then run a 3 channel amp and do it that way.

It might prove worthwhile to go to a decent audio shop and get some advice on what may be able to fit and your options.

I had a pro-install done on my GT86 though I could have much bigger front speakers at 165mm. I also had a sub put in the boot along with amp and a digital sound processor to alter the timing of the speakers and the balance of the sound. You could run a high pass filter (any decent head unit will do this) to let the sub do the work.

The MK1 is a bit of a nightmare to be fair to get any kind of decent sound as there's not much space anywhere.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”