[Mk2] [Turbo] Adding a drain to the fuel tank

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

[Mk2] [Turbo] Adding a drain to the fuel tank

Post by ashley »

I want to add a drain plug to the bottom of my fuel tank to make it quick and easy to swap fuel, I was thinking of using something like a weld on lambda boss and and plug.

I'm thinking if I use a copper washer with it it should seal up fine, I mean they seal up gas tight on an exhaust system.

Should be ok, or is there a better way??

(I have the tank out of the car and fully drained, I was planning to wash it through with water before welding anything on it)
gazrev1tubby

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Adding a drain to the fuel tank

Post by gazrev1tubby »

My rev1 tank already has a drain plug in the bottom of it
ashley

Post by ashley »

My rev 3 tanks don't though...and I've got two, so don't really want to buy another one!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ashley wrote:
(I have the tank out of the car and fully drained, I was planning to wash it through with water before welding anything on it)

You can have water flowing through it for a week and it will still go bang when you start to weld it. The good thing is after it will hold 2 gallons more fuel.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
ashley

Post by ashley »

LOL

How about if I have the tank upside down, sealed and as full of water as possible when I weld it- less air inside it = smaller bang (I hope!)
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

good luck getting the water back out... i had my tank off and i was there for a good half hour trying to get all the fuel out of it. I give up in the end, the baffels make it impossible. I reckon there must have been about 2L still stuck in there!!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Hmm.... :-k

Even with the anti spill device removed, and the tank turned upside down?

Might actually have to find another tank afterall...I assume it's the rev1 tanks that have drains as standard?

Should go stright into a rev3 shell ok?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ashley wrote:Hmm.... :-k

Even with the anti spill device removed, and the tank turned upside down?

Might actually have to find another tank afterall...I assume it's the rev1 tanks that have drains as standard?

Should go stright into a rev3 shell ok?

Yes the Rev 1 tanks will fit a Rev 3. The only problem is there is an "O" ring that seals the drain plug and its not listed by Toyota so you will have to get or make up a new one as I have not found them come out without damage
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
greeny

Post by greeny »

Easier way to do it ash is to put a dry break fitting on the feed from the pumps and then just have a hose to a can and let the pumps pump it out?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
ashley

Post by ashley »

greeny wrote:Easier way to do it ash is to put a dry break fitting on the feed from the pumps and then just have a hose to a can and let the pumps pump it out?

Food for thought- thanks mate :-k
ashley

Post by ashley »

bobhatton wrote:
Yes the Rev 1 tanks will fit a Rev 3. The only problem is there is an "O" ring that seals the drain plug and its not listed by Toyota so you will have to get or make up a new one as I have not found them come out without damage

Cheers Bob
greeny

Post by greeny »

ashley wrote:
greeny wrote:Easier way to do it ash is to put a dry break fitting on the feed from the pumps and then just have a hose to a can and let the pumps pump it out?

Food for thought- thanks mate :-k

That's how I've always drained mine when swapping fuels and never had a problem, saves the hassle of trying to get a pan under the tank to drain it.
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....

Return to “Modifications”