That should upset your engine bay airflow nicely.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Poker Face

That should upset your engine bay airflow nicely.

Post by Poker Face »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
sketchmyster wrote:will be looking mid month as getting me scoop first as already told the guy im having it

That should upset engine bay airflow nicely.

Are you telling me my scoop is making things worse? I just thought more cool air equals better boost etc. I have dusting on my scoop going directly to the air filter, I can't see the harm but always willing to take good advice and had plenty on here.

I get you might have a bit of drag but never considered the airflow in an engine bay.

I still have the cover if my scoop is redundant. Always snagging on the engine bay lid anyway.
Rob

Re: That should upset your engine bay airflow nicely.

Post by Rob »

The scoop was designed by Tom's racing to connect to their enclosed carbon air filter box. A scoop without this second bit is not only pointless but indeed buggers up the air flow in the engine bay.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

My ducting, which I added myself goes straight to the air filter. Obviously not as good as the toms design .
At my level it's personal style preferences, not track records. Everyday is a school day thanks. :)
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

The Mk2's engine bay draws air in from the sides and out the top. Even the rear window is designed to draw air through the engine lid by creating an area of low pressure.

Why add an intake on the top?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

AManInDandism wrote:The Mk2's engine bay draws air in from the sides and out the top. Even the rear window is designed to draw air through the engine lid by creating an area of low pressure.

Why add an intake on the top?

Bang on. :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Apparently someone did a flow test with the scoop inplace once. It did not affect the running temps of the engine what so ever, this was down to the physics of air density and not flow direction. Ie, the cooler air from the scoop will be more dense than the hot air above the turbo/manifold and therefore the trend will still be for the scoop air to sink before rising upward and out the lid vents. Sounds positive! however the velocity & heavy air sinking from the scoop increased the pressure in the engine bay making the effectiveness of the lower trays + side scoops Less effective (there is more resistance pushing against the air thats trying to flow in the vents). the result was no change in engien bay temps but a big change in flow direction through the bay. My concern would be that the increased pressure in the engine bay will effect the downforce dynamics at the rear end and increasing instability at higher speeds. there is also the extra Drag caused by the scoop to consider -any possible but unlikely gain you could get from the scoop will soon be lost as speed increases and at higher speeds it will actually hinder performance.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

I think I might kick the scoop into touch. It was fitted when I bought it thankfully I still have the old cover. I suppose my little ducting mod is pretty lame and totally pointless.

Thank you all for your replies they have been informative.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

RyanRs wrote:Apparently someone did a flow test with the scoop inplace once. It did not affect the running temps of the engine what so ever, this was down to the physics of air density and not flow direction.
... however the velocity & heavy air sinking from the scoop increased the pressure in the engine bay making the effectiveness of the lower trays + side scoops Less effective (there is more resistance pushing against the air thats trying to flow in the vents). the result was no change in engien bay temps but a big change in flow direction through the bay.

My concern would be that the increased pressure in the engine bay will effect the downforce dynamics at the rear end and increasing instability at higher speeds. there is also the extra Drag caused by the scoop to consider -any possible but unlikely gain you could get from the scoop will soon be lost as speed increases and at higher speeds it will actually hinder performance.

As a layman i'd think that disturbing the airflow from the sides and below going in, up and out the lid would not so much affect the actual engine bay temp but just ruin the 'feng shui' :sick: no - i think it more than anything it would ruin the clear flow of the coolest air available coming from the side intake into the actual air intake for the engine. Thats going to affect performance more than aerodynamics.

I can't imagine it really going to have too much affect on stability or drag - we like to think are cars are super, but they aren't true supercars.

I occasionally have lawful reason drive at 150mph (why 150? cos' thats what the car is limited to) on public roads, the car is covered with all sorts of bells and whistles on the roof and boot - they do indeed whistle and howl in the wind but they don't affect the stability of the vehicle. While I feel the wind draggers on the roof and boot don't affect stability they most definately affect resistance.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

If chaps want to make their car a smidge heavier, ricier and more like a slightly more like a submarine or something that you might find in a Mcdonalds car park at absolutely no benefit to performance then I say hey, go for it. :thumleft:
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”