[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine bay / IC fan intermittent?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rs007

[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine bay / IC fan intermittent?

Post by rs007 »

Just before I start the methodical process, in case any of you have a quick answer - any obvious reason why my engine bay cooling fan should start working only intermittently?

Noticed it last week, idling for a while, fan warning light was on. Turned ignition off, and back on, and fan started straight away.

Since then, been paying attention to it more, and often times when it is certainly hot enough to have triggered it, it doesn't come on.

Unplugging it at the under-bonnet sensor doesn't make it run continuously, if that helps narrow where to look?

Stress problem IS intermittent, sometimes it works as normal, but typical, it plays up now when the weather has went hot lol!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Engine bay / IC fan intermittent?

Post by Peter Gidden »

Sounds like the relay box in the boot.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Sounds like the relay box in the boot.

My first suspicion was a relay somewhere - old contacts making intermittent connection :thumleft:

Will replace first then if cheap enough, see if that sorts it!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

pull the black box in the boot and the IC fan will run all the time.
chrisrev2gt

Post by chrisrev2gt »

Or pull the sensor on the engine lid and the fan will run all the time.
This is very common on the mr2. :thumleft:
rs007

Post by rs007 »

RyanRs wrote:pull the black box in the boot and the IC fan will run all the time.

Pretty sure if you pull the ECU, it won't run at all given its integral to the circuit? Surely you mean:

chrisrev2gt wrote:Or pull the sensor on the engine lid and the fan will run all the time.
This is very common on the mr2. :thumleft:

Which doesn't work when the intermittent fault is occuring.

I replaced the fan ECU in the trunk, THOUGHT it had fixed it, but it hasn't.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not - when not, disconnecting the sensor does nothing.

However, I've sussed it - and I'm sure Mr Gidden will appreciate this lol - its almost certainly down to that bloody black/yellow wire in the loom again!

It has affected a few things of mine, Peter says he has personally seen a few cars affected though, so it isn't just mine.

Basically, something is progressively breaking down in this wire, and I think I have narrowed it down to one of the factory splice points corroding.

So far I've had it where my ISCV/TVIS and probably T-VSV and Air-Con Idle up not working, patch repaired to get voltage into those, then my alternator stopped charging, lo and behold it was that wire again but either a different point, or as I now think, something along the lines of the splicing point becoming more corroded perhaps. Especially because when I look at the Engine Compartment Cooling Fan wiring diagram what do I see?

Black and yellow wire running from fuse AM2, and it mentions a splice point to alternator. Hmmm, just too much coincidence.

I have a reel of new wire there, I'm just going to have to properly rewire that run myself I think rather than patching!!!

Peter, do you know where the splice point is for the alternator? I'm naturally assuming its where the loom splits off to go down through the centre of the inlet manifold?
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Confirmation - measured voltage on the blk/yel wire at the engine compartment cooling fan relay box in the boot - hovering at 8ish volts with engine running. Should be the same alternator output voltage i'm getting elsewhere, circa 14.5v.

I'll run an independant line from the ign on fuse into there as a temporary safe fix, like I've done elsewhere, but this is getting seriously tiring.

Anyone got an old revision 2 turbo engine loom - even a borked one (cheaper the better) that I can pick apart for research?

Peter - have you seen these issues with this blk/ylw line often enough to warrant some sort of knowledge base article about it? I'd be happy to put it together and we could all chuck a bit of input in.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

For reference, links to my other threads with issues caused by this problem somewhere in the 12v ign on blk/ylw wire...

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Different problems have presented themselves at different points, this one with the cooling fan being the most recent. TBF it could have been present previously - as far back as the alternator issue - but its only recently with the hot temperatures that I found myself thinking the fan should have been running more often than it was.

It makes sense that it might have surfaced at the same time as the alternator issue as the wiring diagram makes mention of a "splice point" in the loom for this... could well be the root cause.

Return to “Electrical”