[Mk2] [Turbo] ringland failure - now the fun?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

b4ss

[Mk2] [Turbo] ringland failure - now the fun?

Post by b4ss »

Hi,
Ok i have ringland failure on cylinder 4, probably due to the injector running lean on that cylinder, and me not tending to it quick enough.....

its a 99 turbo 200k kms, which took me ages to find, i had always planned on keeping it and turning it into a track car once i mature n get a saloon. I have had a ball with it for last 4 years since i imported it.

I just did bushing n yellow billies n got wheels, i love on it..

The question is do i bother my ass with:

1. Scrap it for parts?
2. Find another engine, am prepared to import one if necessary.
3. Whip engine out rebuild do water pump, clutch rebore, pistons etc
and just keep it?
4. i live in Ireland so v6 supercharged or not is too costly with tax.

All thoughts appreciated... :)

If i go for rebuild, would it be a good idea to add a few bits to take me up to 280bhp, i have been happy enough with 250 up to this...

Thanks,
Tony
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ringland failure - now the fun?

Post by ashley »

How do you know you've done a piston in, have you stripped the engine already?
b4ss

Post by b4ss »

ashley wrote:How do you know you've done a piston in, have you stripped the engine already?

yea did a leak test.....

probably wont do all the work myself as i dont have garage as in apt....
T
ashley

Post by ashley »

First step has to be to pull the pistons and confirm the diagnosis, if you have done a piston and you're happy with how the car is, you could get away with a replacement set of pistons, a light rebore, fresh rings and off you go :thumleft:
b4ss

Post by b4ss »

ashley wrote:First step has to be to pull the pistons and confirm the diagnosis, if you have done a piston and you're happy with how the car is, you could get away with a replacement set of pistons, a light rebore, fresh rings and off you go :thumleft:

yea had a scope in there so ring confirmed, so the job would be as u say
light bore, pistons, n rings, but may as well do the other bits while we are at it....

the question is should i not add a bit more n just add 280bhp reliably or just leave it as stock......

but realistically rev5 turbos arent worth the cost of doing that, minus the few bits i can sell off it.. hmmmm decisions...

am looking for options...
T
JJ

Post by JJ »

Take the head off and remove the sump. Change the piston out, put it all back together !!

Parts should cost in the region of £300 inc misc oil / coolant ... and you'll have a whole lot of fun again !
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
ashley

Post by ashley »

+1
b4ss

Post by b4ss »

JJ wrote:Take the head off and remove the sump. Change the piston out, put it all back together !!

Parts should cost in the region of £300 inc misc oil / coolant ... and you'll have a whole lot of fun again !

Will it not need a rebore? due to the damage from the ring failure?
T
Mike N

pistonbroke

Post by Mike N »

Unlikely, but you will see when its apart.

The ring lands went on my original engine in 2 of the bores. There was no damage to the bores at all. The bit that breaks off is the piston land which is die cast alloy, it is held in place by the rings above and below it and also the wall of the cylinder so it cant go anywhere.

When you pull the piston out of the top of the cylinder bore, the broken piece(s) will drop out.

If a piston ring has snapped, the sharp broken edge may have scored the bore vertically, in this case a hone or re-bore may be required.

Hope this helps.
b4ss

Re: pistonbroke

Post by b4ss »

Mike N wrote:Unlikely, but you will see when its apart.

The ring lands went on my original engine in 2 of the bores. There was no damage to the bores at all. The bit that breaks off is the piston land which is die cast alloy, it is held in place by the rings above and below it and also the wall of the cylinder so it cant go anywhere.

When you pull the piston out of the top of the cylinder bore, the broken piece(s) will drop out.

If a piston ring has snapped, the sharp broken edge may have scored the bore vertically, in this case a hone or re-bore may be required.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mike, yea will get it stripped n see if it need a rebore, would prefer not to go down that route and then have to decide on cast or forged pistons..
Am not planning on major power for my car so forged might be a bit OTT for daily short runs....
Thanks
T
ashley

Post by ashley »

When are you getting it stripped down? Good luck, I hope your bores are ok and it's an easy fix :thumleft: :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”