Porous sump

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt77

Porous sump

Post by matt77 »

Hello

I don't post often but I'm fairly oldschool in that regard, I just tend to use the forums as a source of advice when I have a problem.

I just checked my MOT due date and I was a month out so I've got less than two weeks to solve a couple of problems.

One of which is that I have had an oil leak for a while. I went under the car last week to have a quick looksie before putting in fresh oil, and found the source of the leak. One of the squarish corners on the sump has been damaged and rusted through and is now very porous - in that you can see oil seeping through within seconds of cleaning it away. Since I've poked it a bit it's become more urgent.

So I need a new sump and a little advice. Firstly do sumps vary across models? Mine is a rev2 turbo. I've seen plenty of breakers about but can't find much info on the actual part, or whether I could use a Celica sump?

I think I am meant to use a sealant rather than a gasket, but I have seen gaskets for sale - I presume the oem sealant is the way to go but what is the preferred method?

Thanks for the help, look out for my post in the parts wanted section :)
ashley

Re: Porous sump

Post by ashley »

Rev 2 sumps are different to the rev 3+ ones, so yeah- you'll need an earlier one.

Whack it one with sump sealant, no need for a gasket based on my experience :thumleft:
matt77

Post by matt77 »

Thanks for the tips :)

Oh sorry does it need to be a turbo sump or will one off an n/a fit?
ashley

Post by ashley »

I believe the oil return line from the turbo goes direct to the back of the sump doesn't it? In which case you'll need a turbo sump...
matt77

Post by matt77 »

Looking at the diagrams in a pdf of the repair manual, I think you're right - there's a pipe from the turbo to the sump but not enough detail to be sure.

Shame cos there's a n/a breaking not far from me :) I'll find a rev 2 tubby sump to be safe, can't afford to go wrong really because it's my daily :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”