Project Beater - 1993 GT - T-Bar N/A

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mwilkinson

Project Beater - 1993 GT - T-Bar N/A

Post by Mwilkinson »

Hi all,

New member I have just bought the above car. This was HughesR1 and Kitsan's old car.

Picking the car up on Saturday.

Pictures are in my garage.

First time I have owned and will have driven an MR2.

However, I have just finished 6 years ownership of a 1995 J-Spec BPU TT 6 Spd Supra.

I have bought the MR2 as a summer run around after which I will be buying an R35. Currently looking, but plan to buy end of year when prices drop slightly.

I can't help but fettle with cars I own so no doubt the MR2 will have some changes made to it.

Just looking for some advice and guidance from experienced owners. By all accounts the car is in very good condition for its age, but I can judge this more on Saturday.

Cheers,

Matt
Last edited by Mwilkinson on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Re: Project Beater - 1993 GT - T-Bar N/A

Post by craig »

Welcome to the site! :D
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

RedMR² wrote:Welcome to the site! :D

Thanks for the welcome. :D
craig

Post by craig »

Just notice car pics in garage. Looks smart, any plans for her? :thumleft:
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

RedMR² wrote:Just notice car pics in garage. Looks smart, any plans for her? :thumleft:

Basically I know nothing about MR2s other than what I have been able to glean over the last 5 days or so since deciding to buy the car.

However, I had considered buying an MR2 since selling the Supra.

I like the fact it's a Toyota, so I am familiar with the technology etc..

I was originally looking for a Turbo, but I saw this and thought, for the money it was worth a punt.

It seems to be in in good condition.

It already has the following:

- 2.0 3SGE engine (156bhp)
- 130K Miles (This is one the best '2s I have driven, still super tight!)
- Fully poly bushed (Superpro bushes)
- Tein Supersteet coilovers
- Tein Pillowball top mounts
- Mongoose slash cut exhaust + Decat (Quiet at low revs)
- OEM wheels (refurbed silver OK condition, tyres 5mm tread)
- Full Geo and cornerweighted at TrackDev near castle combe
- CRN grooved brake discs
- EBC Yellowstuff pads (renewed these about 500 miles ago)
- Apexi induction kit (Also have stock airbox)
- Raybrig headlights (with OSRAM Nightbreaker bulbs, epic)
- Rev 5 rear end conversion (with double brake lights)
- USDM rear sidelights
- Smoked sidelights
- Turbo engine cover (too stop leaky water into engine bay!)
- JDM Parts polybush gear linkages
- MOMO Wheel (MOT Compatible)
- Man in Dandism Matts
- CardHore sleepy eye kit
- Full black leather interior
- Active amp stereo (Kenwood USB, MP3 headunit)
- Thatcham Approved immobiliser

Car weighed in at TrackDev at 1233Kg.
Weight split F/R 43/57 %

I'm not keen on the Momo steering wheel and will look to put this back to stock. I notice that JDM MR2s have folding mirrors and that they can be retrofitted tot he UK specs. This something else I am considering.

I have seen a Gen3 Turbo lump for sale and have considered doing a swap, but am unconvinced at this stage.

Are there any mods I should consider in addition to the above?

I will post some pictures and an appraisal of the vehicle once I pick it up on Sat. The first test will be the drive back from Birmingham to Guildford!!
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Ah my old car, wish I never sold her!

She was all golden when I sold her and it hasn't been that long so should still drive well :) I would have bought it back if I knew it was for sale and finally give her the turbo lump she deserves!

Also that Momo wheel is just a fake ebay jobby but I will have it off you for a few £££ if its going? I can also supply you with a rev2 OEM wheel :thumleft:
1998 MR2 Rev5 NA (Road & Track)
1998 Porsche Boxster 986 (Weekend)
2007 Ford S-Max Titanium (Family Hack!)
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

HughesR1 wrote:Ah my old car, wish I never sold her!

She was all golden when I sold her and it hasn't been that long so should still drive well :) I would have bought it back if I knew it was for sale and finally give her the turbo lump she deserves!

Also that Momo wheel is just a fake ebay jobby but I will have it off you for a few £££ if its going? I can also supply you with a rev2 OEM wheel :thumleft:

:D She looks lovely in the advert, so hopefully is still in the condition you remember. The current owner is loathed to sell but his hand has been forced.

I will likely take you up on the steering wheel offer.

I assume for a turbo (cost effective) I would need to swap the whole engine, much like the Supra?

Has anyone ever supercharged an MR2?
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

I'm sure someone has supercharged one somewhere, but swapping the motor for a 3SGTE is the most effective method of gaining power. You could do it for £1000 if you're handy with the spanners :thumleft:

No disrespect to the last owner but he didn't seem that clued up on MR2's and I'm not sure the wheels he put on are staggered so might want to swap them out at some point depending on how it drives :D

She's had a few shoes mind you...

All the images are with same ride height thats set on the car now :thumleft:
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

Those pictures are lovely \:D/

Will definitely check the wheels with regards to the staggered fitment.

Whats the standard wheel fitment?
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

PCD 114.3
5 hole
60.1 centre bore

Standard 15's

15x6 ET45 195/55/15 front
15x7 ET45 225/50/15 back

It rides much smoother on the OEM 15's but the 17's weren't bad at all. The first set weren't staggered so the offset was made up with some spacers and it drove quite nice.

Find a nice tyre pressure setup probably around 32f 34r and then have a fiddle with the coilovers as they change the car drastically! The adjuster on the Teins gets a bit stiff so best to click the stiffness all the way up and then all the way down and count up from there :thumleft:
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

HughesR1 wrote:PCD 114.3
5 hole
60.1 centre bore

Standard 15's

15x6 ET45 195/55/15 front
15x7 ET45 225/50/15 back

It rides much smoother on the OEM 15's but the 17's weren't bad at all. The first set weren't staggered so the offset was made up with some spacers and it drove quite nice.

Find a nice tyre pressure setup probably around 32f 34r and then have a fiddle with the coilovers as they change the car drastically! The adjuster on the Teins gets a bit stiff so best to click the stiffness all the way up and then all the way down and count up from there :thumleft:

Much obliged mate.

I know for a fact the front wheels are 215 tyres so as you guessed they probably aren't staggered.

I can't wait to pick it up now.
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Any luck getting it home in the snow this weekend? :lol:
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

HughesR1 wrote:Any luck getting it home in the snow this weekend? :lol:

Unfortunatly not. Was all set but we had a mini Siberia at around 0900 hours on Sat. Midlands already had a few inches.

Decided it was best to hold fire till next weekend. Didn't want to end up trapped of the Motorway for 10+ hours as usually happens in snowy conditions.

Was really looking forward to collecting it :(
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Yeah it was quite bad up here, I don't live too far from the guy I sold it too. Ah well best not to get it stuck or write it off on the way home :lol:

Its probably going to feel silly slow after your supra!
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

HughesR1 wrote:Yeah it was quite bad up here, I don't live too far from the guy I sold it too. Ah well best not to get it stuck or write it off on the way home :lol:

Its probably going to feel silly slow after your supra!

It will undoubtably feel slow as hell in comparison, but the cornering should be better. I'm looking forward to some b-road fun, which I would never do in the Supra.

I would never forgive myself if I wrote it off on my first trip in it :D

What are you driving now?
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Yep, friend of mine actually had 1993 N/A Supra and they were pretty close but I would loose him in the corners. I don't think the supra handles badly its just its a lot of car to throw around as this thing is really quite forgiving.

I sold it for a Scooby WRX to get me through winter and instantly regretted it so now I'm back in a 1993 rev2 N/A again and already having to get the bloody thing welded up.

Your new motor has luckily had all the welding done so is pretty well sorted :thumleft:, wish I never sold it but oh well, its quite satisfying knowing not all MR2's are being scrapped and broken for parts :)
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

HughesR1 wrote:Yep, friend of mine actually had 1993 N/A Supra and they were pretty close but I would loose him in the corners. I don't think the supra handles badly its just its a lot of car to throw around as this thing is really quite forgiving.

I sold it for a Scooby WRX to get me through winter and instantly regretted it so now I'm back in a 1993 rev2 N/A again and already having to get the bloody thing welded up.

Your new motor has luckily had all the welding done so is pretty well sorted :thumleft:, wish I never sold it but oh well, its quite satisfying knowing not all MR2's are being scrapped and broken for parts :)

Thanks for all your hard work :thumleft:

Seems a consistent trend with many car marques at the moment. The Supra community is suffering a little at the moment. As prices fall cars are worth more in parts. This has been added to with the Supra reaching the dreaded 10 year from last manufacture date, so Toyota have stopped making many parts. So the second hand market seems to have picked up.

I ended up breaking my Supra, I made £5 - £7k more in parts than if I sold her as a lump. It's just the hassle and time involved which can be prohibitive.

I've looked at a turbo lump for the MR2 and I could easily do the work myself on the switch over but I think I might just keep her the way she is. It's less hassle and one less thing to go wrong.

I also need to save my pennies for the GT-R :D

Are you going to turbo yours MR2?

If you had my car back, other than a turbo conversion and possibly a wheel change what would you do to her? I have been looking at anti-roll bars, TRD rear strut bars etc... More about handling really.

Also I might install some JDM folding mirrors.
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Kitsan is the man who carried out most of the hard work :thumleft:

And yes if you have the space then financially, breaking them is always the way to go sadly.

I really wanted to upgrade the anti-roll bars on that MR2 meaning the coil overs could be softened up a little bit. Engine conversion I was always a bit iffy on as I like the power of the turbo but much prefer N/A power delivery and driveability.

However there is a full V6 engine package in the for sale section for £800 which should drop straight into your or my cars which is extremely tempting! 200bhp and 200lbft torque
:thumleft:
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

Picked the car up yesterday an drove it 166 miles home.

It was a lovely drive, the car is still setup very well despite not having staggered wheel fitment. I have 215 tyres front and rear.

The engine didn't miss a beat and had plenty of poke for a 2 ltr N/A. I will confess I struggled for 30minutes or so with how high you have to rev a non turbo'd car. But eventually I got use to this and just cracked on with it.

I have had a chance to go round the car and have picked up on a few issues which I will be looking to address.

1. Exhaust is blowing. I have had a cursory look and I think its the exhaust manifold, but I will confirm this later today.

2. Air intake kit is uprated but poorly installed with the cone held up with a cable tie!

3. The Turbo lid has an undercover which is secured to the engine bay lid. The plastic has perished and the bolts on a number of areas have fallen out. I will get some plastic weld and mend this to secure it properly. I also noticed that one of the bolts has sheared off which hold the lid to the hinge. So that will be a drill and tap kit day!

4. Interior lighting is in need of some TLC. Heater control lights don't work at all. Dash lights work but are very dull, the adjuster does not work.

5. The central locking is sticking and for 10 minutes yesterday was totally locked out of the car.

6. Weather strips around door are in need of a change. They are badly perished.

7. Door handle surrounds have cracked and need to be replaced.

8. Handbrake needs adjusting as it is pulling very high.

9. fog light bulb needs replacing.

10. I had to properly secure front indicators yesterday as they were held in with tape!! Luckily I have a load of toyota trim clips etc from the Supra which came in very handy.

11. The aerial is broken and won't retract. Will replace with a bee sting type.

12. Steering wheel is not my cup of tea and I will be putting a stock one back on.

Sounds a lot worse than it is. But I will update things as I deal with them.

Love this car on the back roads, very compliant. Except at night when I get blinded by all the 4x4 and their bi-zenon headlights :)
Mwilkinson

Post by Mwilkinson »

And I have just found that the alternator bearings are shot!!

Looks like I have some work on my hands :(

Return to “Member Profiles”