[Mk2] [NA] Intermittent leaky boot - any ideas?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

brgbrm

[Mk2] [NA] Intermittent leaky boot - any ideas?

Post by brgbrm »

The boot lets rainwater in sometimes, but I took to my garage the other day and while they were doing the alternator had them look at the boot. They put someone in the boot and poured water over it, and I in the past have filled it with newspaper and then hosed it down but no ingress!

Anyway, the garage couldn't find any problem, so I'm baffled as to what to try next. When it's on my driveway, it's on a slope, with the front of the car facing up the slope.

Any ideas?
MR2Pagey

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Intermittent leaky boot - any ideas?

Post by MR2Pagey »

Take the carpet out and see if you can see where it is coming through. You could have a small hole in the bottom, or a bolt missing in the engine bay which normally bungs a hole.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Water could be getting past the holes in the boot the rear wing bolts to, there should be seals between the boot and wing.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

or the aerial grommet, that's where mine is leaking in :(
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll try putting some newspaper around those areas.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

I have the same issue, think it was mainly getting in via a hole in the bottom right near the enginer where someone had removed the gromit, filled it with silicone and its better but feels a but damp now and again.

Not been able to track it down though, im parked on a slope like yours too.
weasilfreak

Post by weasilfreak »

i had exactly the same problem - after rain, the whole left hand side of my boot (near the boot light) would be soaked. I fixed it by cleaning the gutter between the boot rubber and the rear wing, put sealant all over the seams in the gutter and all around the boot hinge. Dont know if this is a 'recommended' fix but it hasnt leaked since. If you use black sealant, you cant even see its been done.
stace110

Post by stace110 »

My old rev4 did this but Found out it had a hole where the exhaust hangers are bolted on underneath the car ...= rotten floor.
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Thanks weasilfreak, and sorry to take so long to reply. I will try that. What kind of sealant do I want to get?

weasilfreak wrote:i had exactly the same problem - after rain, the whole left hand side of my boot (near the boot light) would be soaked. I fixed it by cleaning the gutter between the boot rubber and the rear wing, put sealant all over the seams in the gutter and all around the boot hinge. Dont know if this is a 'recommended' fix but it hasnt leaked since. If you use black sealant, you cant even see its been done.

Return to “Mechanical”