Another problem...Survere knocking/rattling at around 2k revs. Video included

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Groves

Another problem...Survere knocking/rattling at around 2k revs. Video included

Post by Groves »

As title says all of a sudden I have gained a knocking/tapping noise at around 2k revs. Doesnt sound healthy at all. Cant hear it over exhaust very well but some may hear is. Ive been driving sensibly and slow as well since what I thought was the altonator belt squealing. Sounds like its coming from around the injectors area. Any ideas? Very worried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0UTI9Q3yTQ
chaos19810

Re: Another problem...Survere knocking/rattling at around 2k revs. Video included

Post by chaos19810 »

Worst case would be bottom end bearing? I'd limit the amount I was driving if I was honest, you could drop the oil out and get a sieve and see if any metal shards are in there. Someone with more experience will come along and correct me I'm sure!
OlberJ

Re: Another problem...Survere knocking/rattling at around 2k revs. Video included

Post by OlberJ »

Is that running on 3 cylinders?
www.OlberMOTIVE.com - Central Scotlands answer to your Mr2 needs.
Groves

Post by Groves »

OlberJ wrote:Is that running on 3 cylinders?

Not that I know off. I havent driven it since I heard this. Thankfull im booked in at GTSChris tomorrow. But a long drive to get there.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Groves wrote:. But a long drive to get there.

Get it recovered.

If it is big end bearing a long drive is going to really f-ck up the crank and rod journals of the affected bearing.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

that does sound a little top end, but i wouldnt like to say for sure. as already advised id get it recovered. something is defo not right and you may cause more expensive damage driving it.
hope it all works out bud
Groves

Post by Groves »

Bloody hell only had it just over a week. I dont really know how long i been driving with it like that either.
Groves

Post by Groves »

Spoke to GTSChris and RAC man. Both say its metal going around engine originally due to and over fueling problem. Im furious had the car 9 day and now need a new engine!!
Marf

Post by Marf »

350-400hp on a stock engine....
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Marf wrote:350-400hp on a stock engine....

I don't see why you posted that? ](*,)

Hope you get it's sorted mate.
No 2 :(
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

MR2 Rich wrote:

because a stock engine isnt reliable at 350-400...

this is what happens to them.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

rev3turbo wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:

:D
Last edited by rs007 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I don't think this car was ever 350+ looking at his other thread on this car. He even said it was dyno'ed at 300bhp.

Just thought that post above was kicking a guy when he's down.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Only hinting at what I said in the thread where he asked about his power output which was I believe was along the lines of "it'll go pop soon if it is running that power".

Nothing about kicking anyone when they're down, not my style. If I'd said "hahahahaha I told you so", then perhaps I'd agree with your assertion, but I didn't, so I don't ;)
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Marf wrote:Only hinting at what I said in the thread where he asked about his power output which was I believe was along the lines of "it'll go pop soon if it is running that power".

Nothing about kicking anyone when they're down, not my style. If I'd said "hahahahaha I told you so", then perhaps I'd agree with your assertion, but I didn't, so I don't ;)

Get what you're saying just came across that way, no harm done :thumleft:
Groves

Post by Groves »

Its fine either way, more concerned about my car.
So if I have bottom end failure is it stright away a new engine needed. currently the car still runs and drives perfectly without a problem. Just on exacly 2krpm it rattles, and higher or lower revs it runs sweet. Of it there a chance its just not times right or somthing like that?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Not necessarily.

I spun a shell on my Charade Turbo, spotted it the moment it happened, recovered the car to a garage who whipped the sump off, took the bearing out, checked the crank was in tolerance, threw on a new bearing, flushed the engine, new oil and filter and thankfully it was all good.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

worst case senario is new crank and a rod. would imagine gts chris has the bits if not i have a crank and set of rods.
Groves

Post by Groves »

Marf wrote:Not necessarily.

I spun a shell on my Charade Turbo, spotted it the moment it happened, recovered the car to a garage who whipped the sump off, took the bearing out, checked the crank was in tolerance, threw on a new bearing, flushed the engine, new oil and filter and thankfully it was all good.

This is what im hoping for, not a penny to my name till my old car sells.
What could have possibly smashed but would still let the car drive perfectly. Also if I had done cylinder or piston damage id surely know about it?
Turbonoz

Post by Turbonoz »

rev3turbo wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:

Not in everybody's experience :thumleft:

What exactly has gone wrong with this engine and why? I can't tell from here, can you?

Groves, a big end shell went in my old 1.8L S13, I drove it for about a month with it knocking slightly before removing the engine to check things. The crank was fine and all it took was a set of new shells. That was at 'Stage 2' (260-280bhp). It ended up with over 400bhp on the same crank & shells, so try not to worry too much if it is the bottom end.

Once you get the car back, take it for a dyno run to check everything is set up safely, especially the timing. As was suggested by greeny & myself in your other thread, engine management will make the most of your car. If you can't justify going for a standalone, you will need to limit the boost so there is no knock with pump fuel, don't go for big numbers.
92 MR2 Turbo Rev2 stock engine, Link G3 TURBONOZ mapped, T78: 487bhp & 364lbft; 11.78@120. NOW BREAKING: www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1542658
94 GTiR: 12.08@115 TOTB Sold :(
92 300ZX: 12.6@113 (415bhp) 570bhp, 500lbft
00 Clio 172
05 WRX PPP

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”