Thinking of buying my first mk2...does this look any good?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

donna

Thinking of buying my first mk2...does this look any good?

Post by donna »

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... 1005245632

The guy seems genuine enough and the car looks tidy in the pics he has sent,

Will try and upload them.

I've never had a mk2 but I've had a few mk1's and a 3. Is this a decent sw20 to start with to see if I like them.

Pricewise will be max 1300 for the above as it needs 2 front tyres

Thanks for any help or advice :mrgreen:
Slarty

Re: Thinking of buying my first mk2...does this look any good?

Post by Slarty »

If the mileage and condition are as describe then it's a fair price in my opinion....
synXero

Post by synXero »

Howdy, are you around West Lothian yourself? If so get involved with the Edinburgh car group: http://www.shifty-style.com/emr2/index.html (proper domain name soon!)

Happy to come see the car with you if times suit! :thumleft: Plenty of us in Lothian/West Lothian happy to lend a hand too.

Car looks nice and you can recoup some cost if you so desire by selling the TRD braces - they'll go for two or three hundred.
donna

Post by donna »

Hi,

thanks for the post,

I'm in Falkirk so very close by. Will have a look at the site as it would be good to meet up with owners for runs or spanner sessions

going to try and stick the pics up, hoping to view tomorrow all going well 8) :mrgreen:
cosmos

mr2

Post by cosmos »

Hi,
Most people as a rule would advise buy a Rev3 1994 onwards as stuff was improved at that time, red could be sunlight pink, check the bonnet and headlight gaps it could just be the picture !! Be great if some club members could help you decide with there experience, the wrong car can bite you in the ass.
Good Luck.
craig

Post by craig »

Agreed, best to go for a rev3+ turbo. More power, higher boost etc.

As MK2s are getting old now, be sure to check for rust, particularly rear sills, inside boot under carpet in corners, and arches.

:thumleft:
donna

Post by donna »

Thanks guys, ideally did fancy a rev3 plus but this seems a good buy at £1200 if it all checks out.

Not really after big power tbh, big power is big bills imo :lol: and with a Suzuki cappo which is modded and a 370z it's getting expensive. Just always fancied a mk2, since vie had the 1 & 3 :thumleft:
donna

Post by donna »

synXero wrote:Howdy, are you around West Lothian yourself? If so get involved with the Edinburgh car group: http://www.shifty-style.com/emr2/index.html (proper domain name soon!)

Happy to come see the car with you if times suit! :thumleft: Plenty of us in Lothian/West Lothian happy to lend a hand too.

Car looks nice and you can recoup some cost if you so desire by selling the TRD braces - they'll go for two or three hundred.

Your beams is stunning btw :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

donna wrote:Pricewise will be max 1300 for the above as it needs 2 front tyres

Thanks for any help or advice :mrgreen:

MR2's are cheap now but new parts are expensive. It may seem cheap but it's a 20 year old car and if there are any mechanical issues (eg, suspension, brakes, engine, turbo, radiator, intercooler, etc. etc.) then you could easily spend that again on parts and labour putting the car right.

It's a buyers market now so I'd take your time looking around for a good one, it often makes more financial sense to pay a slight premium for a well maintained, mechanically sound example, rather than buy cheap and then be faced with a potential money pit.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”