REV4 Turbo at Jap Merry Hill Garage

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James Junior

REV4 Turbo at Jap Merry Hill Garage

Post by James Junior »

I noticed this on Ebay and enquired.

Mileage is very low at 104 kms / 67k miles.

I asked what they had done to validate the mileage but apparantly they haven't, though he suggested their might be some Japanese service history in the glovebox.

I asked about the auction grade and it was reportedly a 3.5 which isn't too bad.

The car is largely standard apart from wheels and an exhaust.

I asked if they had test driven it and whether the gearbox had any synchro issues and he said they hadn't driven it at all.

He did say however it would be MOT'd and serviced before sale and any paintwork/ mechanical issues sorted.

When I pressed him on the mechanical condition and that I wanted more info before I would consider making a trip to view he began throwing around generic terms such as 'these cars are bullet proof' which didn;t exactly bolster my confidence.

Initial reaction is mixed. On the one hand their business model appears to be to just buy what looks decent with low mileage from the jap auctions and chuck it on the forecourt.

However, if they are offering to fully prepare the car and sort any mechanical issues before sale, presumably a thorough inspection by someone who knows these cars should put you in a strong position to ensure the car is in sound shape before handing over the reddies!

If I recall you can approach a company called BIMTA who can verify the mileage of Jap imports by their Japanese service history.

It has been a while since I dabbled in these cars so any feedback/ guidance appreciated.

Also has anyone had any experience with this trader?
Draven

Re: REV4 Turbo at Jap Merry Hill Garage

Post by Draven »

take it for a drive.. that is the first thing listen to knocks and bangs. generally feel how the car handles and most importantly find someone who knows their onions and take them with you. :wink:

These cars are very good but even the rev 4 is getting on a bit now check for rusty sills and smoke from the exhaust when warm i.e. blue smoke (although unlikely rev 4 had a steel hg)

:thumleft:

Never heard of the trader though. but they should provide some sort of warranty.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Is it the red one? If so its been for sale for 2 years, was up for 4995 if I remember correctly. Its the usual faded red affair, and has different make wheels back to front. Just driving past was enough to see this without closer inspection. Also be wary of the miles and if you do take the plung make sure you do check with BIMTA
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Yup it is the red one. Hmmm it looked pretty good from the Ebay ad.

It is now up for £3,500.

Trader did reference the wheels (you cannot tell from the photos), but said he would put a matching set on included in the price.

If it has been for sale for that long it must be a pig. Never good for a car not to be driven for a protracted period. You would have thought they might have been more proactive to get it sold rather than just leaving it in the same condition it came off the boat in. A new set of boots and a bit of a mechanical inspection to boast about would surely get a REV4 turbo moving. Very strange. :-k

Will look elsewhere. Thanks for the deedback fellas.

TBH an ex-IMOC car with all the right goodies already fitted holds far more appeal... :mrgreen:
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

Got the eBay link?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

If I wanted a Mk2 (which I dont), I'd be all over this one, I dont understand why it's still forsale tbh.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=163602
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Draven

Post by Draven »

charged wrote:If I wanted a Mk2 (which I dont), I'd be all over this one, I dont understand why it's still forsale tbh.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=163602

With you on that ... lush car.. :mrgreen: just don't like white cars..
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

bit racist mate :lol:
Draven

Post by Draven »

charged wrote:bit racist mate :lol:

StevieL

Post by StevieL »

Surprised that white one hasn't gone yet
ryan

Post by ryan »

I'm suprised this is still for sale too.
Re the red one, i'd put serious money on all the calipers being seized, and you'd be very lucky to get the colour back, its usually a respray job
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

The styling and wheels are not to my taste.

To put it politely.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

For me the only kit that actually improves the iconic styling of the MR2 is the TOMS kit. Even then I only like the TOMS skirts and rear bumper.

For its got to be that or standard.

All subjective though of course. Each to their own and all that.

:)
ryan

Post by ryan »

James Junior wrote:For me the only kit that actually improves the iconic styling of the MR2 is the TOMS kit. Even then I only like the TOMS skirts and rear bumper.

I prefer the greddy side skirts for a more std/oem look
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

ryan wrote:
James Junior wrote:For me the only kit that actually improves the iconic styling of the MR2 is the TOMS kit. Even then I only like the TOMS skirts and rear bumper.

Yeah I do like those, but don't like the way they bolt to the inside of the front wheel arch - ends up disrupting the black inner lining with colour which makes them look a bit cheap from some angles. Bet they look great on black cars though.
ryan

Post by ryan »

James Junior wrote:
ryan wrote:

Yeah I do like those, but don't like the way they bolt to the inside of the front wheel arch - ends up disrupting the black inner lining with colour which makes them look a bit cheap from some angles. Bet they look great on black cars though.

I'd never considered that,funny how some people notice stuff that others wouldnt, and im an eagle eyed fussy sod! I think the trade off is that the GReddy ones dont require bonding/fixing in the door area, whereas the TOMs do (I think?) I seem to remember a friend doing a fair bit of work to get his genuine TOMs skirts to look OEM in the door shut area. Alternativelyif you did go GReddy you could just spray that inner arch part of the skirt matt black? TOMs is a lovely kit though, apart from the elephant trunk! #-o
Let us know how you get on with that rev4, and at worst budget for a good quality respray, it says a lot if theyve had it there that long and its faded, without doubt they wouldve tried sorting it for a better asking price. My faded red had to be sorted by respray, no G3 or cutting compound would last more that a couple of weeks
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Thanks mate but will give it a miss based on the feedback from you guys and my intuition.

I have the reddies to hand for the right car, but with the Spider as a daily driver and having just acquired a cracking 156 V6 to use for the Screwball Rally, I already have enough boys toys to keep me occupied whilst I wait for the right MR2 turbo to present itself...

Patience is a virtue... :mrgreen:
ryan

Post by ryan »

James Junior wrote:Thanks mate but will give it a miss based on the feedback from you guys and my intuition.

I have the reddies to hand for the right car, but with the Spider as a daily driver and having just acquired a cracking 156 V6 to use for the Screwball Rally, I already have enough boys toys to keep me occupied whilst I wait for the right MR2 turbo to present itself...

Patience is a virtue... :mrgreen:

You're in a good position if you can hold out. I will keep an eye out for you too :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”