Items stolen from my car last night...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

widster

Items stolen from my car last night...

Post by widster »

Well I had my 1988 mk1 broke into last night. No sign of damage so either I didn't lock it (possible although unlikely) or they knew how to get in without damaging it. They took my satnav (old tom tom worth about £30), jabra cruiser bluetooth off the sun visor (about £25), original Toyota toolkit, phone charger and tax disc. The tax runs out at the end of Sep and I was going to take it off the road for winter anyway so I've now parked it up somewhere else. It was on the drive at my parents house in a quietist leicestershire village. My mum's house is right at the edge of the village so easy to make a quick getaway. I have reported it to the police but I know it's unlikely that they will find them. I did find some minor items left on the road and also the wheelbrace was found on next doors drive so they may have been looking at his cars? He has a few older cars including a Rover SD1. There was no damage to his cars though. Just glad I haven't had any damage done to mine. They had been through the glovebox, cubby between the seats and lifted the front trunk. My car has an immobiliser and i also had a stoplock on. I have an alarm but it no longer works as both fobs are broke. I'm now thinking of having an alarm fitted. Any suggestions? Buggers!
jon_st205

Re: Items stolen from my car last night...

Post by jon_st205 »

You probably did lock it but unfortunately the mk1 is very easy to break into. Strange theft, sounds like you got away with it quite well all things considered. I didn't think anyone stole tax discs anymore? May aswell just photocopy one rather than steal, it'd be just as useful.
widster

Post by widster »

Hi. Yes a bit strange. I think you're right and they did get in as I'm always pretty careful about making sure it's locked. I'm not sure why they took the tax disc either. Also, why the toolkit especially as they then left the wheel brace lying around? The question I'm asking myself is would an alarm have stopped them or not?
Tommo-GTS

Post by Tommo-GTS »

What was the tax disc holder like?

maybe they fancied it so took it...

just a thought
widster

Post by widster »

It was just a very plain disc holder so don't think it was that but good thought though.

Just checked car over again and definitely no damage which I'm glad about.

Starting to think I will check out alarms. Clifford and Toad are two names I have heard about. Now to decide whether I could fit myself as I'm a bit funny about people working on my car as they never seem to care about their work as much as I'd like!
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

If you already have an imobiliser fitted then save some money and fit an alarm yourself, i fitted a Predator EVO3 Pager Alarm to mine which i brought from JAE one year for £80. It has complete closure, remote boot pop, remote start which i havent wired up and you can get a proxy sensor also. I have a CAT2 Mi600 imobiliser also so the alarm is only there to make a noise and it can page me upto a mile away also.
widster

Post by widster »

That sounds a good option as I had an immobiliser fitted a few years back after a neighbour at our last house said someone had been 'acting suspiciously' near the car one night. Will have to have a read up on that. Cheers. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”