Rocker cover woes

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chloke83

Rocker cover woes

Post by Chloke83 »

Last weekend i replaced my rocker cover gasket as i had the usual leak in the bottom right of the engine where it drips onto the alternator.

After having already had one alternator blow i decided it was time to sort the mess.

Everything was done by the book, i made sure after the old gasket was taken off that it was cleaned meticulously so that there was no residue. I also made sure that i put a bead of gasket sealant in the corners to help seal things tight.

I used new hex head screws bought from Kelsport and made sure that they were all tightened evenly, working my way slowly round them doing a bit each time but also making sure they were not over tightened.

Everything was fine until this morning when there is a tell tale drip of oil on my drive. I looked in the engine bay and sure enough the leak is there again ](*,) ](*,)

I am not sure what i have done wrong and am resigned to the fact that the car will ALWAYS leak oil from this area. I suppose it is only a matter of time before i will be buying ANOTHER alternator to replace this one when it fries! :pale:

Unless of course anyone can point out what i have done wrong or if there is anything else i can do different to prevent this. :cry:
Draven

Re: Rocker cover woes

Post by Draven »

Did you use a little bit of gasget sealant on the corner that drips? This is always recommended else it will leak like that. :thumleft:
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

Yep, did this.

Could the rocker cover be warped which is creating a gap? :-k

How could i check this?
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Chloke83 wrote:Yep, did this.

How could i check this?

Anything is possible I guess but I can't say as I've heard of one warping personally. To check it you'll just need a largeish truly flat surface. Lay the cover on it and see if it "rocks" or go around the outside with a thinish (maybe 0.1mm) feeler gauge and see if it slips under anywhere.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Slarty wrote:
Chloke83 wrote:Yep, did this.

How could i check this?

Anything is possible I guess but I can't say as I've heard of one warping personally. To check it you'll just need a largeish truly flat surface. Lay the cover on it and see if it "rocks" or go around the outside with a thinish (maybe 0.1mm) feeler gauge and see if it slips under anywhere.

Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

Well i suppose i will be pulling the top of the engine apart again this weekend!!!!! :evil: :evil: :roll:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Edit due to numptiness #-o
Last edited by ashley on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

Definitely the rocker cover, small leak in the usual place below the bottom right bolt. :cry:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Are you using the little rubber/metal washers?
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

The rubber and metal washers.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Anyone know why the alternator is where it is in the MR2 and not round the front like it is in the Celica? The Celica has a PAS pump round the back I think but still manages to get the Alternator and A/C pump in up front out of harms way.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”