[Mk2] [NA] Alarm help please.

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ormzy

[Mk2] [NA] Alarm help please.

Post by ormzy »

Hi I have a 10th anniversary rev3, and over the past couple of days I seemed to have developed an alarm fault. The other evening the alarm sounded for the first time for no reason. I was glad in one way as I've only owned the car a couple of months and was wondering if the alarm siren worked as early in my ownership I was must have activated the alarm as I noticed the indicators flashing as if the alarm was activated but there was no sound. I pressed the fob and it stopped and all was ok.
Yesterday the alarm sounded, so I went out pressed unlock on the fob,opened the door, then closed the door, pressed lock, and it locked, alarm led on the dash flashes and all was ok.
This evening, alarm goes off again, I go out press unlock, the doors unlock but alarm keeps going off. Open door, put key in and turn ignition on but alarm keeps going off. Start car and then the alarm stops and doesn't sound whilst car is running. I turn car off and within seconds the alarm goes off.
After a bit of locking and unlocking, closing doors etc the siren stops for about 10-20 seconds and just when I think its ok to go in the house it starts again. I was really annoyed at this point and probably so was my neighbour so I rushed and disconnected the battery and locked the doors with just the key.
So, guys n galls what problem am I faced with? I don't really want to leave my car without an alarm, but how do I solve the problem? I was going to start by checking and cleaning the door switches, but other than that I'm stumped. I know the alarm siren is somewhere behind the n/s front wheel lining but would pulling the plug on that cause the car not to start? I've read that there's an alarm ecu somewhere and you ground one of the wires( to ensure car starts) after pulling the plug on that, can any one confirm the location and details on doing this. I had intended on getting a cat1 toad ai606 fitted in the future as I had one on my last mr2 with no issues at all but would this solve my problem, as I'd hate to shell out the notes for one and still have issues. Any help or advice would be grateful peeps.
:D
ormzy

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Alarm help please.

Post by ormzy »

Oh, just to add, when the alarm is going off now, the indicators don't flash.

Return to “ICE and Security”