HID legality - VOSA not expecting self-levelling & spray?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marlowe

HID legality - VOSA not expecting self-levelling & spray?

Post by Marlowe »

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoe ... lures.html

Just read this on Auto Express - the key part really is 'A spokesman for VOSA ...said: “If a car has the washing and self-levelling system then we’ll check it and it will need to be in full working order. If it’s not there, we don’t check it – we give the owner the benefit of the doubt.” '

I was always under the impression that HIDs, whether factory fitted or aftermarket, required washing & self-levelling in order to be MOT pass worthy - have I been labouring under a misapprehension all this time, or is this a more recent shift in policy?

Would this effectively mean that, if I could source correct replacement housings designed for HIDs, that I could fit HIDs to my MR2 / GTI and still pass MOT (not interested in 'go faster blue' effect, just wanted to fit brighter lighting and keep it in the yellow temp range)?
bigcw

Re: HID legality - VOSA not expecting self-levelling & spray?

Post by bigcw »

Not sure on legality, but I can tell you that my MR2 has passed MOT three years running with aftermarket 'H4' HID's fitted to Raybrig lenses.

Chris
MR2 mk2 |Woodsport V6
Audi RS6 Avant |daily drive
Pug 306 Cabrio |3.0 V6 conversion
Ford XR2 |2.0 Zetec on Megasquirt
Ford XR3 |1.8 Zetec
www.locostbuilders.co.uk
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

HIDs should be factory fitted only, and if fitted, with washers and self-levelling. Construction and Use covers the legislation.

The sooner MOT stations and plod get the aftermarket Indi-Phillipino-Chinese rubbish off the rosds the better off we will all be. Fed up with getting blinded by chavs driving around on their £30 ebay specials blinding all and sundry.

HID bulbs were designed to work in projector housings in order to focus the intense light properly and safely. End of.
craig

Post by craig »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:HIDs should be factory fitted only, and if fitted, with washers and self-levelling. Construction and Use covers the legislation.

The sooner MOT stations and plod get the aftermarket Indi-Phillipino-Chinese rubbish off the rosds the better off we will all be. Fed up with getting blinded by chavs driving around on their £30 ebay specials blinding all and sundry.

HID bulbs were designed to work in projector housings in order to focus the intense light properly and safely. End of.

I agree entirely, been blinded by some chav with these crappy HID wannabe kits off ebay before. Bloody dangerous. :evil:
JayUK91

Post by JayUK91 »

Even the HIDs on most modern barges nowadays are far too bright, even with the "self levelling" safety features.

IMO, either let everybody have retina-blinding headlights, or let nobody have them.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Just another reason to hate Audi drivers imo
craig

Post by craig »

MR2 Rich wrote:Just another reason to hate Audi drivers imo

Strangely enough, the car that blinded me was an Audi A3.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

This is why I made clear reference to 'correct replacement housings' in my opening comment - as opposed to an ebay special. If construction and use prohibits the fitting of such housings aftermarket though, then I suppose that puts an end to my query. Thanks. :)
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

RedMR² wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:Just another reason to hate Audi drivers imo

Strangely enough, the car that blinded me was an Audi A3.

Do a lot of motorway driving and if I dare to go into the fast lane in my little diesel van its always either an Audi or Merc up my back bumper usually with these bloody bright lights ](*,)
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

In the MR2 I tend to get a lot of Audi drivers up my ar$e - in the GTI not so many. I'd understand it were it not for the fact that they usually seem focused on giving me a helpful push when we're in traffic.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

i dont have an issue with people that have an HID kit in projector lamps, its the ones that fit them in reflector lamps that i have an issue with. Oh and BMW X5 drivers as the factory ones in them seem to double up as a laser cutting device.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I notice no difference between cheap retro fitted units and those fitted by Audi / Mercedes.

In fact, the legal ones seem far worse. I have them in Raybrigs on mine, angled down very slightly and never get flashed.
bigcw

Post by bigcw »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

Incorrect.

There are two groups of HID bulbs for OEM use. 'S' prefix are for projector type housings, but there are also 'R' types for reflectors.

For example, my Audi fitted with OEM HIDs runs D2S bulbs in a projector housing. However, the same bulb is available in a fitment suitable for reflectors and designated D2R. There are also D1R's which are more common being an older variation.

One fitment example (I'm sure there are more) is the Merc S class 98-02.

http://my-car-bulbs.co.uk/mercedes-benz ... -1998-2002

Now, I'm not saying that the Merc headlights are just halogens with an HID bulb stuffed in them, they will of course be a unit designed specifically for the purpose. My point is that 'HID' and 'reflector' are not mutually exclusive. "End of"

Chris
MR2 mk2 |Woodsport V6
Audi RS6 Avant |daily drive
Pug 306 Cabrio |3.0 V6 conversion
Ford XR2 |2.0 Zetec on Megasquirt
Ford XR3 |1.8 Zetec
www.locostbuilders.co.uk
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Hids should only be fitted in projector housing, If fitted like this is fine in terms of blinding road users. My brothers range rover has standard bi xenons and they flicker and blind loads more than the hid kit in my accord.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

For reference purposes, does anybody have links to suitable housings to use in an MR2?
ryan

Post by ryan »

RedMR² wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:HIDs should be factory fitted only, and if fitted, with washers and self-levelling. Construction and Use covers the legislation.

I agree entirely, been blinded by some chav with these crappy HID wannabe kits off ebay before. Bloody dangerous. :evil:

I fitted 5000k HIDs to my 406 coupe. The projector lenses are set up for them, has headlight washers but no self leveling, however, they do give a better light on the road. 5000k means its a white light 6000k it gets a tad bluer, most OEM ones are 4-5000kt not the stupid 7-8000k blue chavtastic ones, and ive not once dazzled or been flashed by anyone. Passed the MOT as well as they give the correct beam pattern and look totally OEM

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”