Using an auto for Track days

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Barnz

Using an auto for Track days

Post by Barnz »

Hi, I can only drive automatic cars - have an auto Rev1 - and wondered if anyone has used an auto MR2 on track and what experiences have you had? Obviously manual is better and gearing is different with the 3-speed with OD, but what about gearbox wear for the lazy box?
malwhiterev3

wouldnt worry about wear

Post by malwhiterev3 »

wouldnt be concerned about it wearing anymore than a manual would.

btw if your after a very nice automatic MR2 then take a look at my REV 3 for sale! Just bought a rx8 so MR 2 has to go :(

Its at a bargain price as the autos dont appear to be as popular
cheers
mal
ashley

Re: Using an auto for Track days

Post by ashley »

Barnz wrote:Hi, I can only drive automatic cars - have an auto Rev1 - and wondered if anyone has used an auto MR2 on track and what experiences have you had? Obviously manual is better and gearing is different with the 3-speed with OD, but what about gearbox wear for the lazy box?

I'd say go and give it a go and have some fun :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Reckon you'll be harder on the brakes as even a locked torque converter is not a substitute for engine braking.

But other than that, should be fine.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

ive tracked an auto before with no problem, was actually a nice way to start as you dont have to think about gear changes and heel & toe stuff, one thing i would say is use the different drive gear settings if you've got them otherwise youll find the car shifting into cruising gear and need to kick it down far too often
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You could get that box that someone on here made and convert it to flappy paddles, I guess that would help?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”