Rising Sun or Eagle Cam Covers?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Rising Sun or Eagle Cam Covers?

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I did draw this full scale on AutoCAD earlier but I don't know how to post up an image of a PDF so had to convert it into a JPEG.

Im not quite sure how this would look with the HT leads in position.

I always seem to struggle using white aerosol, dont ask why, it always seems to run or blister, other colours are fine, just white is a pain. So I intend on doing the white background first incase it does go wrong.

I will continue the tapered chunks down the sides of the covers too, that'll probably be more tricky to do, so will wait til its completely dry and mask it off.

I will get a stencil made at work out of 1mm stainless and make it so I can directly bolt it to the RC bolts so it is always in the same position.

Plan to have it done for JAE and my new engine :)

What do people think?
Last edited by SuperRedMR2 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Rising Sun or Eagle Cam Covers?

Post by Lauren »

It'll look cool I should think. Have seen plenty of other cam covers on other Jap cars done like this.

But just one thing, they are cam covers (camshaft covers) not 'rocker' covers as there are no rocker arms on a 4AGE!

;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Edited especially for you
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Looks good :thumleft:

Could be a pain in ass to get right though, but it should look good. are you grinding the writting off them?

Are you (or do you know anyone) who is good with an airbrush? It could be easier to have then airbrushed freehand.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I was going to leave the lettering on. The whole thing needs to be proper clean first.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

A bit of the rising sun in the engine bay always looks good on a 2... any 2. Pics of mine in my garage. Gota say SuperRed your work looks mighty good to me.

R.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Purely personally, I wouldn't have a Japanese emblem anywhere near any property of mine

Their cars & motorbikes are alright BUT

We should never ever forget the behaviour of their armed forces during World War Two

Peter
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

elbon50 wrote:

We should never ever forget the behaviour of their armed forces during World War Two

Peter

LOL. Personally, I couldn't care less but my brother has a German girlfriend, I dont ever let here forget either. "two world wars and one word cup, doo dar doo dar"
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Elbon we had the largest Empire the world had seen at the beginning of the 20th century how do you imagine we got that... through the British sense of fair play? The Japanese may have a different culture to us resulting in what we consider a more ruthless attitude to life but then let's not forget that since then they're also the only nation to have suffered from nuclear attack, they've rebuilt their country after both wars and natural disasters we can't imagine and they now compete at the highest level in every human endeavour whilst having banned atomic weapons from their own arsenals on moral grounds. How long do you want to hold a grudge for?
Last edited by HighwayStar on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

HighwayStar wrote:Elbon we had largest Empire the world had seen at the beginning of the 20th century how do you imagine we got that... through the British sense of fair play? The Japanese may have a different culture to us resulting in what we consider a more ruthless attitude to life but then let's not forget that since then they're also the only nation to have suffered from nuclear attack, they've rebuilt their country after both wars and natural disasters we can't imagine and they now compete at the highest level in every human endeavour whilst having banned atomic weapons from their own arsenals on moral grounds. How long do you want to hold a grudge for?

What is your attitude toward the Nazis Highwaystar ?

Peter
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Despicable human beings. If you can call them that. Germany now is a rather nice place though.. as are the vast majority of Germans I've ever met.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Alternatively I did draw up a Screaming Eagle badge but the cam covers are just too small and it wouldn't be an aerosol job as the wings are just too fiddly to paint - my hand isn't very steady anymore.

The Japs and the Nazis, during WW2, you cannot describe them as Human as what they were doing was in-humain, but that was THEN and this is NOW.

But its not going to stop me putting an iconic Japanese symbol on my Japanese car :thumleft:

I don't want this thread to spark off a history lesson so if you want one, go and make another thread "off topic".
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

HighwayStar wrote:A bit of the rising sun in the engine bay always looks good on a 2... any 2. Pics of mine in my garage. Gota say SuperRed your work looks mighty good to me.

R.

Thanks :) - I found some motivation last night even though I had been drawing all day at work anyway.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

You go ahead & put anything you like on your car Alex

How about big screaming chickens on the doors ? :)

I've stated my position & I shall not rant on about it

Peter
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Its an eagle Peter, not a chicken.

I don't put decals on my bodywork, unless its a track or sprint car, the car body is left alone except pinstripes that come with the car.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Its an eagle Peter, not a chicken

Yes but screaming chicken is the naughty name for it :)

Peter
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Never heard of that one before, but ok if you want to call it that.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I thought everyone called it the screaming chicken. 8-[ :lol:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

I like that design Alex, shame its been done to death already. I like the colour scheme though really looks the part. I plan to incorporate red/white with mine, not completely sure one what design. I was personally thinking that the risging sun should rise out of the oil cap and spread across towards the nearside. That was just what i was thinking.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I did look at that, but the sun diameter would be spoilt by the neck of the barrel. I haven't seen the rising sun on any 4AGE cam covers before.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”