BOV with fluttering noise like old Group B rally cars

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ToyotaTosh

BOV with fluttering noise like old Group B rally cars

Post by ToyotaTosh »

I'm not very good at explaining things, but as I've put in the title, does anyone know of a BOV for the MR2 that makes the sound similar to the old Group B Rally Cars?? Like a bird tweet ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJVZO9xUB4
cvega666

Re: BOV with fluttering noise like old Group B rally cars

Post by cvega666 »

i'd be surprised if they ran BOVs..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastegate# ... atter_myth
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Closest thing I can think is a Sheepdog Prof BOV for the fluttering sound? Doesn't sound much like those cars though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsILx0oPmK0
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Thats no bov and constat chatter isn't it...I had an ARC bov a while ago that seemed to produce said chatter sound...sounded more like the squirell mincer than no bov at all, but it was on a different turbo so it may just've bee a different comp wheel making the noise.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Yep, it could be very dependant on engine and tubo set up, but the SARD BOV I had the 'wastegate chatter' sound similar to the Group B Audi in that vid.. Its for sale also! :oldtongue:

Ross
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

It's from running no BOV. It's compressor stall. You can get the same noise by either running without one, or running with an adjustable pressure one set to fully hard.
But, beware, it will shorten the life of your turbo or web simply kill it if you're still running a stock unit.

I ran 1.9 bar through my T67 though for a good while with no BOV & it sounded awesome!! :twisted:
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

yeah can't really do that on a stock turbo with a ceramic wheel. I'm thinking next step when my turbo craps out is a rebuild with a steel wheel and no BOV then.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Steve Horrocks wrote:It's from running no BOV. It's compressor stall. You can get the same noise by either running without one, or running with an adjustable pressure one set to fully hard.
But, beware, it will shorten the life of your turbo or web simply kill it if you're still running a stock unit.

I ran 1.9 bar through my T67 though for a good while with no BOV & it sounded awesome!! :twisted:

I also was under the impression that no BOV would hurt the turbo...but I found out after trawling the net for a definative answer...that it doesn't seem to carry any weight. I havn't run a BOV on my rev2 for over 6 months and the blower is still sweet as it was...as was pointed out to me...make your own mind up.
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

I suppose it depends on how hard you drive, I'd prefer one myself.... plus I like the noise :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”