your lap times

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

Re: track times

Post by Rogue »

peterjf wrote:Mods: Significant

:lol:

Is that what you've put on your insurance form?
peterjf

track times

Post by peterjf »

Only you, me and Sky know the significance of that word????
brgbrm

Re: your lap times

Post by brgbrm »

I've just seen my entry on the MSV 'How Fast' Leaderboard. I dare say some will take the micky as I'm next to eg a 700cc Smart car, but I'm quite pleased all the same:

http://www.howfast.co.uk/leaderboard.aspx
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

You'll wish you hadn't started this with a diesel Fiesta in front of you. :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Hmm, yeah I had noticed that one too :( . Well, at least I'm giving myself incentives to improve ... the trouble is my local circuit is Goodwood, and I don't really dare practice at the limit, hence the outing to Bedford.

Lauren wrote:You'll wish you hadn't started this with a diesel Fiesta in front of you. :tongue:
mark73

Post by mark73 »

cadwell park 1.44.01s

mallory park 54.2s

silverstone gp 2.32.5s

spa francochamps 3.00s

:wink: :wink:
Lincs-SW20

Post by Lincs-SW20 »

Dan - as other people have said, you're best off joining the MR2 championship forum to ask about lap times as that's fundamentally all they're interested in!

Track days are about being able to push your car harder than you should do on the road with relatively few consequences.

If you're hell bent on timing yourself, fit a video camera and use the footage as a rough estimate but it's definitely not wise to publicly advertise that you do it because as previously mentioned, if anyone else you're on track with has paid for track day insurance, it instantly becomes invalid the second your stop watch starts rolling.

Then you'd find those people becoming rather hostile towards you given what they've paid for.....;)

Not a dig; just some advice :)
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Il bear that in mind :roll:
Lincs-SW20

Post by Lincs-SW20 »

That's all I ask 8)
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Asking to pick arguments instead of the forum providing technical advice, thanks as per usual here it seems, oh and use as a marketplace.

So in hindsight i couldnt give a toss what your opinion is nor do I require your advice on timing or trackdays

Thanks Mark I should be at Spa next year, what is car spec
Lincs-SW20

Post by Lincs-SW20 »

Eugh there's no talking to some people! :roll:

If you don't care what our opinion is and/or you're unable to take sensible advice onboard, why did you ask for it?

That's what being part of a forum community is all about. I'm a very new member on here but I've been on various forums for years (usually ending up in an admin capacity).

There was an incident on a Skyline owners club forum a few years back where a well established member posted up a photo of his totalled skyline which he somehow managed to achieve on a straight road #-o boasting that he was accelerating to over 100mph when the back end stepped out. That resulted in criminal action because he'd brought the forum into disrepute through his irresponsible actions!

Just because we own fast cars, doesn't mean we drive like idiots!
dan4

Post by dan4 »

I didnt ask for an opinion I asked for times and people like you who jump on the high horse but you have clearly read enough to understand that...like you said theres no talking to some people
Lincs-SW20

Post by Lincs-SW20 »

Jumping on a high horse would have meant one of us taking note of your reg number and informing every track day company in the UK that you're a 'timer' and should not be trusted...have we done that? NO!

All we've done is offered some friendly advice to someone who clearly doesn't want to take it!

Mods - probably best to close this thread before this guys head explodes with rage...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

dan4 wrote:I didnt ask for an opinion I asked for times and people like you who jump on the high horse but you have clearly read enough to understand that...like you said theres no talking to some people

Whilst I understand all you want to know is other's lap times, what you are asking people to do is exactly what you are not allowed to do on trackdays.

Timing on a trackday invalidates everybody's insurance. This is why if you are found to be timing, you will be booted off the track. I have booted off quite a few people in my time when I worked the pitlane.

You are saying, 'well everyone times anyway what does it matter'? Well, the trouble is it does matter. We are certainly not going to encourage people talking all about their lap times on a given day as that could bring that TDO into disrepute.

If you think timing is the be all and end all of driving on track then go and do something competitive. It doesn't have to be mega expensive. But, if you think timing is a necessary part of trackdays then you have missed the point.

Go on the MR2 Challenge site and get the laptimes from there. Simple. :+:

Don't hang around here having a go at people.
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

With respect Nathan, some valid points have been made here about when and where timing is legitimate, the 'How Fast' product by MSV that I mentioned for example, Sprints another, and where it isn't legitimate, track days, and I think this thread should remain active so that other people can benefit from the discussion.

I took my 18 year old niece on her first track day at Goodwood at the weekend, and she was over the moon. I just can't imagine how she/the family would feel if 'an expert', intent on get every last second off a lap time, took us on a bend, she didn't yet know much about racing lines, and there was a crash and she actually got hurt.

Lincs-SW20 wrote:
All we've done is offered some friendly advice to someone who clearly doesn't want to take it!

Mods - probably best to close this thread before this guys head explodes with rage...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Don't worry, I intend for the thread to remain open. And yes, Marc you make a good point about someone driving on a trackday as if every tenth matters and then potentially causing an accident when trying to push past slower cars without losing time.

This is exactly why timing is not allowed on trackdays.
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

Focused events now use a chrono system to time you on their track days and email you the results :)
dan4

Post by dan4 »

new brake, wheel and tyre setup produced very good results today....

Previously run fastest 53.2 at Lydden, managed 50.9 and very consistent low 51's all day \:D/

Fellow black mr2 owner in a stock uk rev1 seemed to be doing well in the novice group, hopefully he'll come on here to share experiences
mr2madben

Post by mr2madben »

1 minute round brans hatch
dan4

Post by dan4 »

mr2madben wrote:1 minute round brans hatch

Completely dead on 1 minute...? What are you driving please :thumleft:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”