Trying to get a hold of JMR_AW11

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

grant #2

Trying to get a hold of JMR_AW11

Post by grant #2 »

Hi folks,

I'm looking for the alternative map (racing map) that JMR_AW11 uncovered when he peered into the mk1 mr2 ecu.

I have a 4ag with a standalone with 11:1 pistons and 270 duration cams and am looking for some guidance for ignition timing.

Jeremy wrote that he would post the alternative map in another publication but I could never find it.

Could anyone kindly forward his contact info to me, or maybe tell me where to find the map if it is indeed published?

Thanks,
Grant
kevin..in

Re: Trying to get a hold of JMR_AW11

Post by kevin..in »

he's regularly here or here abouts, was logged on yesterday, sure he will reply
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Hi
The alternative ignition map is more likely to be for lower grade fuel.

The ECU also switches in a basic fuel correction map at the same time that generally makes the ECU run richer at certain rpm.

But basically, the ignition map gives less advance at high load and rpm.

It would be a miracle if it was suitable for your modded engine and IMO you should simply get your standalone mapped by a tuner :)
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Polite request:
Can you or the mods please remove my full name from the thread title and the first post and replace it with JMR_AW11 please?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

JMR_AW11 wrote:Polite request:
Can you or the mods please remove my full name from the thread title and the first post and replace it with JMR_AW11 please?

Done :thumleft:
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

grant #2

Post by grant #2 »

That's a bit of a disappointment. I had the impression that there was a secret race map on the ecu based on what you had wrote, suitable for different cams and such.

Did you find out later that the second map was for worse fuel?
Come to think of it AW11's with GZE in the states had a switch for premium or regular fuel.
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

grant #2 wrote:That's a bit of a disappointment. I had the impression that there was a secret race map on the ecu based on what you had wrote, suitable for different cams and such.

Come to think of it AW11's with GZE in the states had a switch for premium or regular fuel.

When I first looked at the secret maps I found them in the 89661-17140 ECU that goes in the later mk1b and the maps are hard linked out and can never be accessed by the ECU unless the ECU is modded internally.
Someone in the tuning trade suggested to me these were probably there for performance reasons, eg to support engine mods.

However, on some 4AGE ECUs the ECU is able to activate these maps but I don't officially know what the maps are there for. I now suspect the reason is for engine safety rather than performance.
I suppose I could dig out the code for the earlier ECUs and look at what activates the maps but I'm not really that keen to spend the time on it.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

JMR_AW11 wrote:
grant #2 wrote:That's a bit of a disappointment. I had the impression that there was a secret race map on the ecu based on what you had wrote, suitable for different cams and such.

When I first looked at the secret maps I found them in the 89661-17140 ECU that goes in the later mk1b and the maps are hard linked out and can never be accessed by the ECU unless the ECU is modded internally.
Someone in the tuning trade suggested to me these were probably there for performance reasons, eg to support engine mods.

However, on some 4AGE ECUs the ECU is able to activate these maps but I don't officially know what the maps are there for. I now suspect the reason is for engine safety rather than performance.
I suppose I could dig out the code for the earlier ECUs and look at what activates the maps but I'm not really that keen to spend the time on it.

I for one would be very interested if you do tell us more about these secret maps JMR

Even if its just to explain how to access them

Peter
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

I sent the info via PM on how to access them on the 89661-17070 ECU to vashy some time ago.

There's also a 2 wire ignition timing interface inside the ECU that lets you alter the timing using an external 4 position switch as you drive the car.

eg -4deg, -2deg, 0deg, +2deg are the 4 possible switch options.

I think I also sent him a PM on how to connect this switch up so maybe he still has the info.

These features are on all three ECU types for the mk1 ECU but probably aren't worth bothering with. Interesting, perhaps, but not really much use in reality.
vashy

Post by vashy »

grant - JMR posted the normal and secret ignition maps on my tuning thread here
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131284
This should be a very useful for setting your base timing. With 11:1 compression and those cams you may need to back the timing off a little more than even the secret map.

I did the mod to activate the secret map on the 17070 ECU, and then took this ECU and a stock one to a dyno to try to see the difference in the fuelling. There was no significant difference. I now run a 17030 ECU, and when I next go to the dyno I will test this one. This time I will also check to see if the injector duty is close to maximum, too.
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Note that the 3D ignition maps I posted up in that link are for when the throttle is being pressed.

There's another ignition map for when the engine is idling. Also, the ECU has the ability to detect a sudden drop in idle revs and it can temporarily add a burst of ignition advance to pep up the engine.
There are map values for how much advance it can add and also attack and decay times.

This is there to try and improve the idle if there is a misfire or if the engine gets loaded and it prevents stalling.

So don't use the ignition advance settings in the big 3D maps for idle! :)
grant #2

Post by grant #2 »

thanks a lot guys. This is on an ae111 20v engine with Kelford cams btw. I've done the mapping myself up to this point and its getting close to just saving up to spend a few hours at the dyno. It is expensive because I have VVT to mess with, and lobe centers for both the intake and the exhaust cam -_-

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”