[All] [Generic] Troubleshooting - linking a Link G3 ECU to a PC

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

[All] [Generic] Troubleshooting - linking a Link G3 ECU to a PC

Post by Chr15py »

Afternoon. I hope this is in the correct section - please shift it about if it isn't :).

Firstly, i dont want to map or play around with the map.I just want to monitor the temperatures etc.

I cannot get my PC to see my Link G3 ECU. I've tried everything - emailing Link and Thor to see what they think (no replies on both fronts), looking on the Link forums (far too technical for me) but it just doesn't seem to want to connect. It obviously works as Rogue mapped it and a local tuner has been successful in connecting to it also.

Any ideas? Can try and connect later if any info is needed :)

Cheers
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
wickermonkey

Re: [All] [Generic] Troubleshooting - linking a Link G3 ECU to a PC

Post by wickermonkey »

have you downloaded the latest program from the website and what operating system are you on? when i did mine i had an old dell lappy with xp on it, downloaded the latest program plus the drivers and away it went.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

PC with shitty vista. It's the latest that supports the g3
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

rahhh vista... get a xxxx old laptop with XP, slap a SSD in it (even a 20gb or soemthing) and you have a bulletproof solution that you can use to monitor your car no matter what bumps you go over.

A lot of corporations still use vista in production environments, because its well tested and tried.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

You have to use windows XP as anything newer will not allow the ECU/USB drivers to install. Its all down to the stupid 'microsoft device driver signing' system they use, basically every driver made by every company needs microsofts approval before windows vista/ 7 will allow it to install and the Link drivers are not approved aka 'digitally signed'. XP however, tells you about the driver signing issue but gives you the option to continue anyway.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

My Windows 7 laptop has no issues connecting to any G3 / G4 ECU. Make sure you have the right program though as it's not one-size-fits-all.

For a Link G3 you need this version of PCLink:

http://www.linkecu.com/support/download ... CLinkV3_40
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Partition magic and a double boot should sort it.
wickermonkey

Post by wickermonkey »

Something else to try is the compatability mode (right click on the program, properties, compatability) I know it doesnt always work but you could give it a try. Do you have a copy of xp? i could sort you out with one if you dont :-$ :wink:

Return to “Modifications”