[Mk2] [Turbo] Front Radiator fan ON constantly

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Amebb

[Mk2] [Turbo] Front Radiator fan ON constantly

Post by Amebb »

Hi

Can anyone help me on this issue. My main fan (radiator fan) is on constantly.

I have changed the switch that goes on the radiator and thats made no difference.

Also, i have checked the relays etc.

Does anyone know what i should look at next ...?

Thanks
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Front Radiator fan ON constantly

Post by toxo »

Has your car had the aircon removed?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Amebb

Hi

Post by Amebb »

Hi there

As far as i am aware the car never had Air Con.

I have checked and tested the relays etc and all seems to be ok.

The sensor for the temp is brand new from toyota.

Now, i will try to bleed the system to make sure that the warm/hot water is circulating around the front radiator and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Turbos all had aircon! You couldn't order an MR2 in Japan without climate control IIRC.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

hi there

Just a brief history lesson on my car.

Originaly, the car had a 3sge engine with no air con.

The previous owner then put a 3sgte turbo engine in to the car.

So, as it stands i dont have air con in the car - sun roof yes...lol

Hope that helps ...?
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

What happened to your problem in the end? im suffering the same issue.

Rev 3 turbo with aircon
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

shane34 wrote:What happened to your problem in the end? im suffering the same issue.

Rev 3 turbo with aircon

Your issue will be unrelated unless your car is also an engine swap?
les85

Post by les85 »

toxo wrote:Has your car had the aircon removed?

Does this cause a problem then as i have just removed whats left of my aircon rad and i'm not going to be replacing it ?
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

Hi there

I didnt really get time to fix the problem.

I think it may be that the temp switch wire may be broken somewhere and i need to trace all the wires concerned. OR, i can just make a simple temp sensor using a relay that can control the fan using the existing temp sensor in the radiator.

It all comes down to having the time to do it all.

Will post the outcome as soon as i have done it.

Thanks
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Theres 2 different tyres of Rad temp switches

one for Aircon cars and one for non aircon cars. replacing with the wrong one can make your fan stay on all the time. I found that when I bought the wrong one, non ac for my ac mr2 the fan stayed on all the time.
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

hi Steve

My car never had air con to start with and the old temp switch that i had was on the radiator but it didnt work.

When using a multimeter i checked its resistance and continuity. The switch was faulty and thats why i purchased a new one.

I think there may be a loose wire or a broken link somewhere in the radiator cooling circuit.

Later on when i get time i will have a look.

Thanks
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

les85 wrote:
toxo wrote:Has your car had the aircon removed?

Does this cause a problem then as i have just removed whats left of my aircon rad and i'm not going to be replacing it ?

If your fans are always on and you have removed the air con system then its because the aircon and cooling ECUs have gone into failsafe mode. You will need to bridge the wires that go to the aircon rad temp sensor and the wires that go to the temp sensor on the right side of the frunk when looking from the front.
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

Hi

If the temp sensor is bridged and the other connector is bridged too .... then the cooling wont work...?

The fans wont come on then will then ?

I am sure that my car never had air con to start with. And its a problem to do with something else and not air con

Thanks
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

not true. if the aircon ECU receives no signal it goes into safe mode and both fans run constantly. if it receives a constant perhaps nonsensical signal then it throws up a warning light on the dash to say the air con fan has an error and precedes to run the main cooling system fan as normal.

However my response wasnt for your problem it was for les85's benefit. i have no idea how to help with your problem, which is why i didnt comment on it.

It does however give me an interesting thought as i have only owned cars with air con. given 1 fan is for cooling and 1 is for air con. If a car isnt fitted with air con as standard does it only come with 1 fan?
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

Hi there

Thats right, my car only has one fan and NO air con.

I feel that my issue may be a faulty wire and thus the fan is on constantly.

Thanks

Return to “Electrical”