[Mk2] [Generic] Tidy Fit USB Port

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

[Mk2] [Generic] Tidy Fit USB Port

Post by toxo »

I've got a Kenwood stereo with a USB port for memory sticks.

It used to be:

Not very tidy.

So I bought a switch blank from Toyota for a whopping £4 and a USB backplate from eBay like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/290536226511

This has a specific kind of USB wire which has a full USB plug on both ends - most plates like this use a small 10 pin plug for motherboards. Having a USB plug on the end means it will plug straight into the Kenwood. The USB cable on the car stereo is about half a metre long and the cable on the eBay USB port is about 20cm so combined they will reach either side of the dashboard.

I unscrewed 1 USB port from the metal plate and trimmed the edges of it slightly (it was a bit too big to fit inside the clips of the switch blank, so a little had to be taken off the edges where the screws are).

Chop drill cut slice file

And fitted:

The Kenwood kit for doing this is £35+VAT. Go figure.
Last edited by toxo on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
T.F.S.

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Tidy Fit USB Port

Post by T.F.S. »

Neat
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

T.F.S. wrote:Neat

Yea a productive 10 minutes I thought :lol:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

its worth a sticky is it not?
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

For my Kenwood with usb I got a micro usb stick,why the hell they didn't fit it to the back so you could run a usb cable to it I will never know #-o
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

toxo wrote:

10 minutes and 2 cans of Fosters finished. Hard day?
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
timlowthian

Post by timlowthian »

Just ordered the bits! Thanks for this i hate having the stupid ipod cable hanging around! lol :thumleft:
Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Jaspa wrote:
toxo wrote:

10 minutes and 2 cans of Fosters finished. Hard day?

You got it :)

timlowthian wrote:Just ordered the bits! Thanks for this i hate having the stupid ipod cable hanging around! lol :thumleft:

Cool :) If anyone needs it the part number for a black switch blank that I used is 55539-12130-C0 and they are about £4. You have to trim some plastic off the back of it so that you just have the 2 clips sticking up, then you can wedge the USB port in place and score around it with a knife so you know how much to cut out. Then just drill 2 3mm holes for the bolts, you can reuse the ones that attach the USB port to the metal computer bracket, they are long enough to get through the plastic.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Oh and if you were wondering, the Toyota logo USB memory stick is from dealextreme.com - nothing but the best chinese tat! It's 8GB but I wouldn't recommend them, it's pretty slow.

I was wrong about the price of the Kenwood cable, it's £14. But the end of it is massive and wouldn't fit in a switch blank, so it's a bit irrelevant.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Very nice, may do this with my iDA-X100.

Mine also has a Mini USB cable on the drivers side that reaches up to the windscreen. Was on there when I bought the car, and its ignition live so I assume its spliced into the cigarette lighter power - so useful and keeps the wire going to a phone / satnav nice and out of the way!

If the HU provides 5V 500mA, then a USB - Mini or Micro USB cable would be a nice addition as it will mean you can power a phone or satnav and have it on the right hand side of the windscreen without trailing a wire over the dash.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

smart idea, booze and power tools a nice mix ;) ...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com

Return to “ICE and Security”