[Mk2] [NA] Grinding noise when turning right.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chindo89

[Mk2] [NA] Grinding noise when turning right.

Post by chindo89 »

Hello everyone, unfortunately my first post on this forum has to be a real puzzler.

I have been to two different mechanics and the car has been checked over by one of the mechanics on three seperate occasions. The problem is that when turning right, usually after about 25% of the total travel, I get a disgusting grinding from the rear drivers side(right hand side)wheel. I have been hunting the net for about a month now trying to find out what it is but have had no luck so far. Originally, I thought it was the ball joint as it was definately needing replaced but after having that replaced it made absolutely no difference.
There is slight play in the wheel(I can push it towards the car at three o'clock) and the driveshaft has a tiny bit of play in it aswell(it will turn very slightly before it seems to catch the wheel). The noise has been getting progressivly worse as when it started I had to be on full lock for it to make the noise and I am also starting to notice a quick crack from the wheel area sometimes when I start the car and once or twice when pulling away in first. I am almost certian it is not a gearbox or engine issue as the noise is definately coming from the wheel area.
My mechanics advice is just to keep driving it til it gets worse then bring it back in to see if the problem is more noticable(he promised the wheel wouldn't fall off!). The next on my hitlist would be the CV joint but its not something I want to have to replace if that isn't going to fix it either.

Thanks for reading,
Greg.
Quigonjay

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Grinding noise when turning right.

Post by Quigonjay »

Hi Greg, welcome to imoc
few things it could be, wheel bearing or driveshaft support bearing would be my first point of attack
standard wheels? if aftermarket do you have spigot rings?
when you say about the crack when you start the car do you mean when you fire it up without moving the car? could be a different issue
chindo89

Post by chindo89 »

Hi, cheers for the reply. The thing that's steering me away from a wheel bearing is that a bearing in my old 323 went and it was a kind of wooing noise. Plus, it only makes the noise when turning right. I put a set of rotas on it about six months ago and I only got one spigot ring with them(guy that sold me them was a chancer, came with a nail in one of the tyres as well). Would missing spigot rings be a huge problem because I asked when I first got them on my old 323 forum and most people said it shouldn't be a problem. Could you give me sizes or even a link to buy some as I'm not sure what I'm looking for? I'm going to take it back to the garage soon anyway, the mechanic is brill and hasn't charged me at all for looking at it as he has not found the problem. I'm starting to think maybe the cv joint is shot and when turning the wheel is moving slower than the driveshaft hence the noise being the joint slipping but I'm no expert so that could be a load of rubbish haha.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

NA's dont have driveshaft support bearings like the turbo cars do
3sgtemechanic

Post by 3sgtemechanic »

Sounds like cv joint to be to be honest :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

jasongtr wrote:NA's dont have driveshaft support bearings like the turbo cars do

note to self, check what car it is first #-o
chindo89

Post by chindo89 »

Well, I think it's just going to need to be trial and error untill I find it. CV joint will be next on my list so I will keep you posted on how it goes. Cheers for the help :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”