[Mk2] [Generic] Retofit OEM sub and amp

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

[Mk2] [Generic] Retofit OEM sub and amp

Post by Racer7 »

Hello,

I'm in the process of restoring my MR2 to a clean factory finish... of sorts.

I believe my MR2 (Rev5 UK) may have had the premium sound option which I understand includes the sub in lieu of a cubby box.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the existing plugs will be on the supplied loom in the car so I can (theoretically) plug n play. Or whether I would need to somehow re-wire/splice on the appropriate loom plugs (which I have).

All help would be appreciated. It'll give me something to do now that I've finished the retrofit JDM mirros. :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Retofit OEM sub and amp

Post by SonicSW20 »

If your car came with the normal system as standard, then the loom behind the head unit is going to be quite different to what is required.

If it was me, I would use this as an opportunity to fit something better than OEM, but in the original positions.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If it came with the premium sound system, it will have a single plug behind the stereo (either 14 or 15 pin).

If it came with the bog standard system, it will have 2 plugs behind the stereo, 1x10 pin and 1x6 or 8 pin.

Swapping one to the other is an enormous ballache.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Thanks guys. Not sure what mine came with. I'm hoping it was the premium setup. I have one cubby box and one empty one so thats why I thought there may have been the sub there in the past.

Either way I'll check it out.

If trying to retrofit is a ballache then how much hard is an aftermarket sub/amp in comparison?

I'm not massively into the boom boom pow whilst driving and actually want to create something subtle which sits in the cubby box area.

:thumleft:
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Here's an image of the block behind the stereo.

The stereo that came with the car was an aftermarket one so I'm not sure if this is what the original connector should look like.

Looking in the empty cubby there doesn't seem to be an obvious place where the connector would feed through. I'm assuming if it might be stashed under the carpet.

Is there a wire guide that is availble to help me with this? If indeed it is the appropriate plug to retro fit the sub boxes...

@ Gazza_DJ - believe me I'd like to upgrade the whole audio setup but at the moment I'm trying to direct money towards mechanical stuff that needs doing. The sub box I have would be something to keep me ticking over until I'm happy that the car is running as well as it should!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You didn't have the premium sound system, you had the standard one.

The connector's been chopped off and replaced with a standard ISO connector but the key thing is that there are no phono connectors in there - there would be if you had the premium system.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Doh! Thanks Toxo - that's good to know.

So shouldn't there be two cubby boxes - seems a bit cheap to only have fitted one when there was no sub!

I will have to get rid of this sub box or research alternatives to getting an aftermarket sub in that space.... ](*,)
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

apparently its quite rare to have a passenger side cubby box when no sub is there
ryan

Post by ryan »

A sure way to know if you ever had the premium system is to simply see if you have a speaker grill behind either seat, if not and its all carpet, then you have the std non external amp system
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I have removed the standard audio system from my car in favour of my own simple set up...I removed the amps/box's from the side panels and I think this is the bit I removed from behind the centre cubby box...
I also have a rev 3 shell/loom that had the same speaker/box/amp setup there was a speaker box behind both seats with these grills in.
if you need any loom/plugs/grills/speaker box/amps etc ...you can have them for the postage cost :thumleft:
Arlen617hp

Vito

Post by Arlen617hp »

The wise man is always a good listener.
klimite

Post by klimite »

Holy crap! I think my import has the premium ! there is some phono cables back there but I assumed it was from someone else putting then back there and there is also a grille behind the passenger seat at the bottom! Ideal, I'll look into this tomorrow :)

Return to “ICE and Security”