Tyre option

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

peterjf

Tyre option

Post by peterjf »

Would 245/35/17 rear and 205/45/16 front tyres compromise handling of track car, this would keep close to the oem rolling dia,or would 225/45/16 front be better.Car is a rev 3 turbo.
Advice appreciated thanks
peterjf

tyre option

Post by peterjf »

Are there no handling experts out there???
dantheman

Re: Tyre option

Post by dantheman »

rolling diameter means almost nothing on a vehicle of this type. if you are worried about rim size have a read of this:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15623

as far as picking the overall width of your tyres its a matter of preference. a lot of people who run 15 inch wheels opt for 205 instead of 195 on the front to remove some understeer tendancies. neither of those two options you list match up with the stock tyre widths. if you wanted 245 on the rear you would need 210 (which may not exist?) or 215 width tyres for the exact same balance. 205 will understeer more and 225 oversteer more.

however the bigger picture is you probably wont notice any difference with whatever tyre width you pick. dropping the front tyre pressure by 3 or 4 psi for example would probably be far more noticable for balance.
peterjf

tyre option

Post by peterjf »

Thanks for that info. A 245/215 combination was what I was trying to acheive but very few track tyres come in 215 anymore.

My present set up is 255/40/17 rear 225/45/16 front on Kumho V70A tyres and the grip is huge.Going back to original rolling diameter would also lower the car significantly over present set up.

I would like to try the new Toyo R1-R tyres and they only come in those sizes, hence my inquiry on how they would affect the handling.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”