Passenger Door Destroyed

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

malcster

Passenger Door Destroyed

Post by malcster »

So, the joy of living in the centre of Edinburgh without a garage continues...

Woke up to this on Saturday morning.
Passenger door is completed crushed.
No note left or anything.

Suffice to say I am fairly f*cked off.

Any ideas what the best way to go about repairing this is?

Try and pull it out with a suction cup and re-spray?
Or just try and find a door from a black car being broken?
Is there much involved with removing a door?
Just the loom & 2 bolts in each hinge?
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
jasongtr

Re: Passenger Door Destroyed

Post by jasongtr »

buy a used door mate, will be about £20-30, doesnt matter who yuo know etc... a spray job will be alot more, you might just have to wait for a door.

2 bolts on each hinge, and the door check strap/ loom plugs need unplugging from the footwell behind the trim, if you buy a bare door then obviously it all needs changing over
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I have a pukka passenger door in black, no rot or rust...smokey import glass, motor, loom etc...even got dyno matted speaker well....£40 plus about £15 delivery.
adam_ep82

Post by adam_ep82 »

djpkins wrote:I have a pukka passenger door in black, no rot or rust...smokey import glass, motor, loom etc...even got dyno matted speaker well....£40 plus about £15 delivery.

do you have one in drivers side aswell :)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If you buy a replacement door it will have to be from a similar car. i.e. if it's from an import it will need to be an import door, if it's from a rev1 it will have to be a rev1 door. Unless you want to swap all the innards over.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
malcster

Post by malcster »

toxo wrote:If you buy a replacement door it will have to be from a similar car. i.e. if it's from an import it will need to be an import door, if it's from a rev1 it will have to be a rev1 door. Unless you want to swap all the innards over.

I found this on fleaBay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0597111553

I asked the bloke about the year, and he reckoned it was either a J or a K reg.

Any ideas if this is a UK or Import?
Or can you only tell by the innards?
I asked him but no reply yet...

What is it that's different? The whole loom/electrics?
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Looks like an import to me for 2 reasons, the glass is bronze tint and the rub strips are flush with the door, hope that helps...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I have only got the passenger door left I'm afraid...it's from a rev 3 turbo with no folding mirrors...if yours has the folding mirrors you will have to remove the applicable wires from your old door...vindeezal has just done this, he had the drivers side door. :thumleft: .
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The central locking is different which means you can't just transfer a new lock to an old door, the tie bar thing that stops the door folding back on itself is different, the pinouts are wired differently (I think). The rev1 doors don't have side impact bars although that's of little importance. There's probably more, I wrote it all down once! I have fitted a UK rev1 door to my rev3 turbo and just had to gut the entire door and transfer everything over.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
malcster

Post by malcster »

Well, I am now the proud owner of this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0597111553

Looks like it's from an import, and the bloke said J or K reg, so I'm hoping Rev 2 (exactly what I'm needing).

Fingers crossed it's plug and play, otherwise it'll be sleaves up and on to disecting the damn thing.
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Welcome to the fun world of swapping doors :) You'll have to take the wing off to gain access to the door hinges. The wiring loom is 2 plugs inside the footwell (see step 12 here: http://www.stephenmason.com/cars/mr2doorwire.html ) then you thread the whole lot out. Refitting is the reverse of removal :lol: You shouldn't have to do too much alignment to get the door to line up as the hinge bolts are tapered.
malcster

Post by malcster »

toxo wrote:Welcome to the fun world of swapping doors :) You'll have to take the wing off to gain access to the door hinges. The wiring loom is 2 plugs inside the footwell (see step 12 here: http://www.stephenmason.com/cars/mr2doorwire.html ) then you thread the whole lot out. Refitting is the reverse of removal :lol: You shouldn't have to do too much alignment to get the door to line up as the hinge bolts are tapered.

I kinda hoped I could just unbolt the 2 bolts on the door-side of the hinge, and get away without taking the wing off? :-k

Maybe not though - you're the guy that's done it before - I was just guessing!

Thanks alot! I'm sure I'll be back on in a few days asking questions!
:thumleft: :eye:
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You might be able to, I'm going from memory from about 4 years ago. I had the wing off anyway, I think.

It's all a bit hazy :lol:
jon

Post by jon »

The hinges can be unbolted from the door without removing them from the body.

I've replaced a Rev 3 door with one from a Rev 1 without any major issues.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”