'91 G-Limited Rev1 Import ... is it possible to delimit ??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

odin the terrible

'91 G-Limited Rev1 Import ... is it possible to delimit ??

Post by odin the terrible »

Greetings to one and all ...

I have a '91 G-Limited import ... I've read quite a lot about fitting the electronic delimiter packs to the rear of the speedo but as a Rev1 my car has a mechanical speedo.

I know I can fit a mechanical convertor to the speedo cable at the gearbox end to get the clocks to read in MPH instead of the current KPH ... but, the real question is, how do I get the thing delimited so that I can get rid of the 112mph limited top end ?? Am I looking at a re-chip or is there a work around ??

Thanks
Stef Derner

Re: '91 G-Limited Rev1 Import ... is it possible to delimit ??

Post by Stef Derner »

If you fit the mechanical converter, then the speedo will read in MPH and the pulses given out to the ECU will be reduced in frequency. This will have the effect of moving the 180kmph limit to 180mph. Unfortunately the same signal goes to the power steering and the PAS will shut off at 80mph instead of 80kmph (50mph) this will make motorway driving just a bit hairy.

I'd advise you to fit a UK speedo to read mph and look at some other method of removing the limit. You can still fit an electronic delimiter after the speedo, but it needs to be the clamping type, where the pulses are still in kmph, but they are clamped at less than 180kmph so the ECU thinks the fastest you ever go is 170kmph or so.
odin the terrible

Thanks for the input ...

Post by odin the terrible »

Yes ! ... indeed so !

I am now fully aware of the dangers of interfering with the P.A.S. as a result of fitting mechanical 'delimiters'. Additionally, I've now also become aware of a huge potential fire risk in swapping out the instrument cluster for a UK spec one.

Apparently, the wiring and connections are not totally compatible and can result in cabin fires !! Apparently, the ONLY safe way to do this is to strip out the internal works of a UK/MPH speedo and swap it into the existing cluster.

I have, however, now been able to track down and communicate with Stephan Derner who has designed and been producing an electronics package which will achieve BOTH functions; delimiting & KPH conversion, for Rev2's onward (electronic speedos) ... but, he can modify his electronics package to fit the Rev1 Imports, thus producing the desired delimiting function WITHOUT interfering with the P.A.S. ... all else that is required is the fitting of the UK/MPH spec speedo internals into the existing cluster. :-)

You live and learn ;-) ... and again, many thanks for your input.

O T T
kennym

##

Post by kennym »

Stephan Derner

when my bussiness was selling imporrts (not learnerdriver first time cars)
I used to buy 5 at a time delimiters from stephan,

I never had one complaint or come back, it must of been 7 years ago but I had one left in a cuboard which im now useing in my track car

I never got chance t say it as I wasnt a member at the time but hes a welth of knowlage & was really helpful,

I thouhgt he wasnt doing delimiters any more
cmr2payne

Post by cmr2payne »

i thought you could just swap to uk dials without any issue ? never heard of the fire issue ?
MR2 MK2 Rev 1 Turbo
Skyline
TVR Chimarea
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

It's easy to do the swap, but you need to remove the speedo from the cluster and swap just that instrument. The pinouts of the plugs in the back of the cluster are different on the UK and JDM cars. The plugs fit but as the wiring is different, sometimes you get smoke.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”