[Mk2] [Generic] Trunk cable override?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

smig

[Mk2] [Generic] Trunk cable override?

Post by smig »

I've just tried to open my frunk and pulling the release handle has no effect, so:-
How do do open the frunk in the short term?
How easy is it to fit a replacement cable?

Cheers
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Trunk cable override?

Post by djpkins »

If the cable has snapped and you can't get hold of the end...then you may be able to gain access by popping one of the light units all the way up and get your hand in to release the bonnet...you'll need to get your arm right under the light unit and pull the bar, that moves the light up and down, out of it's housing...that sounds like a propper xxxx of a job mate and you will have to study a picture of the light housing to prevent further damage.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

happened on mine, the cable felt connected but the frunk lid wouldn't pop up.
got someone to pull it up while i pulled the leaver inside the car then nailed the lock with penetrating oil, its a lot better now
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

The cable is probably seized, mine was when I first got my car.

Undo and remove the release lever (one cross head screw I think) and pop the lever free from the plastic trim. You should now be able to free the cable from the release lever.

With a good, solid, pair of pliers, grab a hold of the end of the cable and give it a solid continous pull (oh er) and the bonnet should pop.

A new cable is about £15-£20 and not too hard to fit, maybe an hour or so at the most. Mine had corroded between the inner and outet cable.

Edit: Part number if you should want/need it,

53630-17050 CABLE ASSY, HOOD LOCK CONTROL 01.12.1989-01.08.1999 SW20
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Are you sure you havent accidenatlly disabled the trunk release by turning the key in the opposite way to normal to lock it? Theres a feature that if you lock it by turning the key a certain way the inside release wont work (its the "valet" locking mechanism). I'd check thi8s first before replacing anything.
smig

Post by smig »

JeffD wrote:Are you sure you havent accidenatlly disabled the trunk release by turning the key in the opposite way to normal to lock it? Theres a feature that if you lock it by turning the key a certain way the inside release wont work (its the "valet" locking mechanism). I'd check thi8s first before replacing anything.

It's the front bonnet, not the boot.

It feels connected, and I pulled the cable with pliers but nothing happened, I'll have another go tomorrow when I've picked up a new cable from Toyota (they quoted me about £27 Inc vat).
Thanks all for your advice, I'll hopefully get it open in the morning :D
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

DOH! Sorry I always think of trunk as the boot - the one at the back.

Return to “Mechanical”