Won't start - AA & Garage say Cambelt has jumped (Rev1na) ???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

zeronine

Won't start - AA & Garage say Cambelt has jumped (Rev1na) ???

Post by zeronine »

I started my '91 rev 1 3S-GE na '2 this morning after charging the battery overnight so I could complete the necessary for an MOT (exhaust swap and top-mount). It started first time and then died - then it wouldn't restart. Last time I ran it was before Christmas and it was as smooth as...

The alarm was disabled and the starter motor whirrs away but no fire. Called AA, he checked the plugs (said it was flooded, so dried them out), checked relays & fuses - still no start. He checked dizzy, cleaned it up, sparks fine from coil and plugs. Should've started by now he said...

(We did notice that the earth lead on the intake side of the motor was not bolted into the block but we couldn't see where it should be attached. However the earth lead on the cambelt side was attached ok and the AA bloke was not concerned. As this has obviously been disconnected since I bought the car a couple months ago it's not been an issue. But where should this second earth lead bolt in?)

As a last resort he removed the cambelt cover and noticed that the belt was a little worse for wear but still intact - he concluded that the belt must have jumped and now the cam timing was out causing the engine not to fire up. I was starting to see ££££ signs float by...

I got towed to my friendly garage. I've just spoken to them and they concluded that it's not starting 'cos of the cambelt...

So what am I in for now - how much will this cost to repair and what's entailed?

Will the valves and other internals be damaged or is this a non-interference engine?

Many thanks for any input and Happy New Year.
:-k
SonicSW20

Re: Won't start - AA & Garage say Cambelt has jumped (Rev1na) ???

Post by SonicSW20 »

From what I understand the 3SGE and 3SGTE are non-interference engines (just from what I have gathered from poking around on here and mr2oc), so it should just be a matter of new cambelt kit and retiming?
tottacrolla

Post by tottacrolla »

Did they explain to you how they thought a cambelt could jump a tooth just like that ?
When was the cambelt last changed ?
Sounds like it could be an expensive "snap" diagnosis to me.
Have you tried a diagnostic check ?
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Do you park your car outside??

I am also a AA patrol
cabbydave1

cam

Post by cabbydave1 »

Sounds like your water pump had froze and taken the teeth off the belt.that would make it jump how much anti-freeze did it have in?
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

zeronine wrote:

So what am I in for now - how much will this cost to repair and what's entailed?

Will the valves and other internals be damaged or is this a non-interference engine?

:-k

£250-£300 to change the belt and associated bits, no more :thumleft:

My Cambelt slipped a couple of years ago, it was out by 3 teeth, there were no starting issues, it just ran all lumpy.
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

The 3SGE. Engine is a safe engine so it won't bend valves
Leakie Tbar

Re: cam

Post by Leakie Tbar »

cabbydave1 wrote:Sounds like your water pump had froze and taken the teeth off the belt.that would make it jump how much anti-freeze did it have in?

+1
zeronine

Post by zeronine »

Hi, thanks for the replies and confirming that the engine shouldn't have bents valves :pray:

Yes the car had been parked outside, so it's quite possible as suggested that the belts slipped due to a frozen water pump (I didn't know that could happen TBH).

The AA chap didn't plug in any diagnostic equipment and I'm not certain if the garage has done that yet either - although they were pretty certain that is was not starting due to the cambelt - I'll know more by mid week. One of the mechanics there has an MR2 Turbo so hopefully they're on their game.

All the fluids seemed A-OK, but admittedly I didn't check the quality antifreeze.
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

I have been to dozens of frozen engines this year to be fair, Our diagnostics cannot connect with obd1 just OB2, trouble codes wont tell you squat on a mechnicial failuire

make sure you get your water pump checked have known it to shear off the impellar on the back of the pump
zeronine

Post by zeronine »

ok thanks I'll do that.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

I had a MR2 that had stripped teeth on the cam belt ,fitted a new one all ok no damage
if the cam belt has gone/slipped the engine will turn over really fast
zeronine

Post by zeronine »

just an update on this since it took a month to get it all sorted.

The cambelt had jumped 4 teeth - with that now all sorted and serviced the engine is running as sweet as!

While it was in I got all the other work done on it and got a fresh MOT.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”