MR2 insurance

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

spoofer

MR2 insurance

Post by spoofer »

not sure im posting this in the right place, but guys help

MR2 insurance

im 34 with 9 years no claims. standard MR2 GT getting quote of £600 plus

a friend owns a 50k range rover £250 notes, how help
Torero

Re: MR2 insurance

Post by Torero »

Depends mainly on postcode, some areas are a higher risk than others. Also, search around the isurance companies, you may hae chosen one that sets it's profile for new drivers in their 20s or believe it or not feamle drivers, as they are considered a lower risk :clap:

Also, a t-bar will make a difference and an import will add about 15% to the total.
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

Consider

Limited mileage policy
second car use
garaged
approved alarm cat 1 or 2
wife on the same policy
SDP only
owners car club
club valuation
limited mods ie filter, exhaust.
cosmos

Insurance

Post by cosmos »

Have a look at www.classiclineinsurance.co.uk they are in Hinckley Liecestershire good for me Asdaprice..
Torero

Post by Torero »

Mike N wrote:Consider
garaged

Unsure of this Mike as I have just hired a garage to take mine off the road in C. London. The garage has an electronic key to the security gates for the compound and another electronic key for the garage door. I called Admiral to declare this and they told me that it would now cost me £22 extra as statistically a garaged car is more of a risk than one on the street.

](*,) You work it out, no one else could.

www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/267/139638.html
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

spoofer wrote:im 34 with 9 years no claims. standard MR2 GT getting quote of £600 plus

I've given up trying to figure out how insurance companies calculate the risk. I'm 31, but got a full UK license for only 2 years - I pay around 1000 (3rd party fire&theft!!!!!) on a Uk N/A.

Same company quoted me 1300 for a 1.6 civic ???????

and now they're quoting me 750 for the same car as I insured with them in August last year....

No idea how it works.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Harold

Post by Harold »

cvega666 wrote:
spoofer wrote:im 34 with 9 years no claims. standard MR2 GT getting quote of £600 plus

I've given up trying to figure out how insurance companies calculate the risk. I'm 31, but got a full UK license for only 2 years - I pay around 1000 (3rd party fire&theft!!!!!) on a Uk N/A.

Same company quoted me 1300 for a 1.6 civic ???????

and now they're quoting me 750 for the same car as I insured with them in August last year....

No idea how it works.

You must have a terrible postcode, I'm 25, had my license for two years and with 2 years ncb I pay £740 with Admiral for a modified tubby.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

I guess. No idea how, I live in a village 10 miles outside any major town... o.O
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

spoofer wrote:not sure im posting this in the right place, but guys help

MR2 insurance

im 34 with 9 years no claims. standard MR2 GT getting quote of £600 plus

Feel free to PM me your details and I'll arrange a call back to go through a quotation?
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Torero wrote:
Mike N wrote:Consider
garaged

Unsure of this Mike as I have just hired a garage to take mine off the road in C. London. The garage has an electronic key to the security gates for the compound and another electronic key for the garage door. I called Admiral to declare this and they told me that it would now cost me £22 extra as statistically a garaged car is more of a risk than one on the street.

](*,) You work it out, no one else could.

www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/267/139638.html

I can work it out, and I am sure I gave you the reason..
Torero

Post by Torero »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:I can work it out, and I am sure I gave you the reason..
I don't recall Ollie but would be interested to know.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

A-Plan (Thatcham branch) are worth a call. I recently insured a modified tubby for a lot less even with an agreed high annual mileage.

It was still a jump in price compared to last year, but still cheaper than the online quotes I got and with better cover.
RST

Post by RST »

If yours is a standard tubby you should be better than that (postcodes and security aside). I've stopped believing in NCB's though, the more I have the less effect they seem to have.

Sky's my preferred insurer at the moment.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Torero wrote:I don't recall Ollie but would be interested to know.

this wouldn't be the case with my company I would like to point out first of all (shameless plug :) )

I have seen this trend recently though, and have seen the same issue raised on many car club forums. A few insurers are indeed charging more for a car kept in a garage than on a drive or on-street parking.

The answer is simple.. everything as far as insurance prices go is dictated by claims statistics. There have been a higher volume or higher value claims from cars kept in garages than on streets / driveways for the particular insurers who are charging more. When you look at the bare bones of it, it does seem like madness.

Ollie
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

RST wrote:If yours is a standard tubby you should be better than that (postcodes and security aside). I've stopped believing in NCB's though, the more I have the less effect they seem to have.

Most insurers count 5 years as 'maximum NCB' so would stop discounting your policy after this.

It is a myth that insurance goes down year on year for every year you get an extra year's NCB. Also, rsing claims costs for insurers is outweighing the discount offerd by NCB unfortunately :(

Dont shoot the messenger! :D
TbarSAN

Post by TbarSAN »

rev3gtturbo wrote:A-Plan (Thatcham branch) are worth a call. I recently insured a modified tubby for a lot less even with an agreed high annual mileage.

It was still a jump in price compared to last year, but still cheaper than the online quotes I got and with better cover.

My rev3 T-bar G-limited worth about £1300...my renewal with a-plan(thatcham).....£950 :evil: :evil: :evil:
I've been with a-plan for the last 5-6 years :mad:
Guess what they said...cars under £2000 ARE more expensive to insure nowadays...I don't understand at all :roll:
Before anyone asks...I'm 35,10 years NCB,clean licence and no claims or accidents :?

It's parked up at home at the moment :(

I shall be giving Ollie a call in the new year :wink:

After I fix the T-bar brackets :lol:
I missed the turbo boost but don't miss the 2 at all...
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

TbarSAN wrote:
rev3gtturbo wrote:A-Plan (Thatcham branch) are worth a call. I recently insured a modified tubby for a lot less even with an agreed high annual mileage.

My rev3 T-bar G-limited worth about £1300...my renewal with a-plan(thatcham).....£950 :evil: :evil: :evil:
Guess what they said...cars under £2000 ARE more expensive to insure nowadays...I don't understand at all :roll:
Before anyone asks...I'm 35,10 years NCB,clean licence and no claims or accidents :?

It's parked up at home at the moment :(

I shall be giving Ollie a call in the new year :wink:

After I fix the T-bar brackets :lol:

Im with Aplan, Modified Turbo (check my profile / garage for the list, all mods declaired) and Im 23 with 1 years NCB and an fault claim accident and Im paying £1100 Fully Comp and thats SDP and Commuting as well, wonder what my Re Newal will be then in a few months :shock:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

TbarSAN wrote:

WOW

Is this cos its more likely to be an economic write-off in the insurers eyes if another car drives into an MR2 valued under 2k?

I never understand car valuations on old vehicles. Some can be worthless and some can still be worth a fair bit. e.g. VW camper vans in the surf scene 15k for one built in the 1960s, and I have seen them restored on tv with an agreed insurance value for a lot lot more than that.

At the end of the day it is what someone is prepared to pay for it.
The MR2 mk2 is still a great looking car even by modern standards... you only have to see/hear the reaction of young kids telling their parents as they walk passed when you wash it.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:...
Im with Aplan, Modified Turbo (check my profile / garage for the list, all mods declaired) and Im 23 with 1 years NCB and an fault claim accident and Im paying £1100 Fully Comp and thats SDP and Commuting as well, wonder what my Re Newal will be then in a few months :shock:

Mine went up by about 1/3rd :shock: before I added a couple of optional extras. Hope yours does not go up that much! A-Plan still easily beat the other online quote I got.

Good luck
james13009

Post by james13009 »

Im with admiral multicar

Im paying £305 for my Rev 4 N/a commuting 6000 miles
and £455 for my Rev3 turbo social 3000 miles

It for me its actually cheaper to keep both cars in the resdential parking area rather than one in the garage - work that out.

Oh and I'm 25, 3 yrs no claims, full comp on both

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”