Brake pad question

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rev 3 Kris

Brake pad question

Post by Rev 3 Kris »

Im in need of some advice on brake pads need the rear doing first whats a decent pad to go for on the roadster ? and where from ?

was thinking yellow stuff on the rear and carbo`s on the front

any thoughts welcome

thanks
sam1176uk

pads

Post by sam1176uk »

I've got mintex racing pads on mine and they are supaerb, over £100 though :thumleft:
Ekona

Re: Brake pad question

Post by Ekona »

Unless you're running serious (300bhp+) power then I'd stick with the OEM pads. I've driven cars running 270bhp on track with just stock pads and Black Diamond discs all round and they were more than capable.

Money no object though, I'd be getting nothing less than Carbone Lorraine all round. You'd need some serious discs to go with them though.
frogger

Post by frogger »

Over £100 for premuim-budget brand Mintex?! :shock:
Can get a full set of standard mintex pads and new discs all round for 120-130 usually.

In the past I've advocated this kit - they're fine so long as you don't happen to get one of the slightly misshapen ones that seem to roll off their production line 1 in every 2000!

EBC Yellow are a good pad, but as per the above post, if you aint tracking it then you will never tell the difference between Mintex, Mr T, or performance brand.

Steer clear of unbranded budget parts and you'll be fine!
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

frogger wrote:Over £100 for premuim-budget brand Mintex?! :shock:
Can get a full set of standard mintex pads and new discs all round for 120-130 usually.

In the past I've advocated this kit - they're fine so long as you don't happen to get one of the slightly misshapen ones that seem to roll off their production line 1 in every 2000!

EBC Yellow are a good pad, but as per the above post, if you aint tracking it then you will never tell the difference between Mintex, Mr T, or performance brand.

Steer clear of unbranded budget parts and you'll be fine!

Same as these http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 7639&rs=gb

Awesome braking, get what you pay for 9 times out of 10.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I've never rated the 1144s myself having had them on my old VXR220, the Pagid RS14s on the other hand... :lover:
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

Surprised at that, they are superb on mine compared to stock.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I hated them. They were no better than OEM on the VXR, and I ditched them after a few thousand miles as they simply weren't up to the task, with average feel and poor stopping power. Might work better on the MR2 though, although I still maintain that OEM pads are more than adequate.
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

I noticed a huge difference when i changed mine from stock, though I have tarox racing disks and goodridge braided hoses as well, so maybe that helps but just swapping the pads over made a big difference. Expensive though!
frogger

Post by frogger »

Are these the same mintex pads that were producing that knocking noise on your car recently (due to slight play in the pad size), or another set? :whistle: lol
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

No these are new ones, the old ones were the cheapy mintex pads which didn't fit 100%

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”