Replacement alloys and tyres advice

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jtholman

Replacement alloys and tyres advice

Post by jtholman »

Newbie Question(s). This is my first post so hi to all.

I’ve just bought a 2001 MR2 roadster after wanting one for a long time but never been in my price range before now. So that’s the good part, now here’s the bad part. The wheels are to say the least trashed due to corrosion etc. I’ve been quoted at £235 to £250 to get them refurbed. So rather than getting them refurbed, I’m going to add the extra £120 and replace them with a set of 17” wolfrace pro-sprints http://www.wolfrace.co.uk/eurosport_det ... wheelID=78 . So now for the questions.

1. Will these wheels fit my car OK?
2. What size tyres will I need for these wheels?

Lost a lot of confidence in the guy in the shop when I told him the tyres are staggered and he replied ‘They shouldn’t be’. He then told me to just replace them with 205 x 40’s all-round. Is this ok? Or do I need to stagger the new tyres. Been reading around a lot on the forums and I’m just getting more confused to be honest. Before this guy said that, I was looking at putting 205 x 45’s on the front and 225 x 40’s on the back. He also tried to sell me a wheel / Tyre package with 4 205 x 40 Accelera Alpha tyres, worked out at around an extra £150 for the four tyres. Anybody any experience with these tyres?
I know there are a lot of questions above so thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers, John
philster_d

Re: Replacement alloys and tyres advice

Post by philster_d »

Its recomended to maintain the tyre stagger as you said. A few websites have a tyre calculator that can help you get as close as possible to the stock sizes when changing to a different wheel size. (then your speedo will still work correctly as well)

eg http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

You might also find you need spigot rings or spacers depending on the wheels offsets and widths.

Sorry just some general advice there rather than a direct answer.

The numbers can vary and I had different, but my car was turbo'ed. Also you might experience some rubbing with a lowered car and some tyre sizes. This can be fixed with a hairdryer to warm the arches and push them in a bit. Lowering is recomended with 17 or your mr2 mk3 looks like a 4x4. :)

Regards,
Phil
frogger

Post by frogger »

Tell them to stick the alpha tyres, some decent rubber is a must.

Personally I like Toyo's, not to everyones taste but unquestionably good rubber and fantastic in the wet, which is a very nice thing to have on a mid-engined rear wheel drive car!

Have you bought the wheels yet?
If not, consider going with 16" instead.
17" ruins the handling and will need lil bit of wheel arch melting (as mentioned above). Trust me, you wont notice the extra 1" less in diameter and you'll really appreciate the better handling :D

The problem you will find with many 'off the shelf' wheel and tyre package retailers is that they often just push matching sets of 4 tyre sizes.

Insist on brand name rubber in sizes which maintain a stagger and the stock rolling radius, or go elsewhere for your tyres 8)

EDIT: Sorry, I see those wolfrace wheels are onyl available in 15" or 17".
Bit of a pain :(
jtholman

Post by jtholman »

Thanks to all for the comments.
Thought as much about the alpha tyres and the sales guy in the shop. Seems everyone selling tyres say it's ok to lose the stagger and put 205 40 all round while all the guy's on the forums say it would be a big mistake and the car will overstear and I'll end up in a ditch.

Been a right pain trying to find a good wheel / tyre combo. Was thinking about the 16" wheels but tyres seem alot more expensive for some reason. So after a lot of deliberation decided to get the stock wheels refurbed, found a guy that will do them for £180. going to put Toyo T1-r's on them. Managed to find a full set for £190 delivered.

One thing I noticed about the T1-R's is the back tyres (205/50/15) are only available in XL(reinforced) while the front 185/55/15's are not. Does anyone know if it is OK to mix these? i.e... reinforced on the back and and non reinforced on the front.

If its not OK going to go with Falken Ziex ZE-912's. I can get them for about the same price.

Cheers John
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

912s are rubbish, the equivalent Falken is the 452. Neither of which you'll be needing seeing as how those T1Rs will be fine to mix.

That said, I wouldn't put those on either. Treat yourself to a set of Advan Neovas (only available from Lotus dealers or EliseParts as they were made exclusively for the S1) as they're the best tyres I have ever used on an mk3 by some margin.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Few more pennies though!
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=119102

Had mine for over a year now and love the thing. Moved from a Mk2 Turbo and absolutely thank myself each day for not getting 17" wheels. Bang, smash, bang on all the pot holes.

Also, Demon Tweeks fitted the same tyres front/back. 'Seemed' to handle like a fish with a light front all the way back home. Got out, checked, went a bit mad and got the correct one's fitted the next day. I strongly suggest that you stick with what Toyota set for the car with regards to offset etc. (Not that I know what I'm talking about :lol: )

Since then, zero problems, really great grip and am happy.
philster_d

Post by philster_d »

I had no problems with 17's.

Some people did a 16 front and 17 rear as a 3rd option.

Each to their own I guess.

Phil
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

Mk2 with uprated suspension/springs. 17's, low profiles = BANNG
Mk3 with standard ish everything, big fat tyres = Smooothhh

Then again I do live in North wales and we like pot holes.
frogger

Post by frogger »

jtholman wrote: One thing I noticed about the T1-R's is the back tyres (205/50/15) are only available in XL(reinforced) while the front 185/55/15's are not. Does anyone know if it is OK to mix these? i.e... reinforced on the back and and non reinforced on the front.

I'm running those exact size T1R's with no complaints :thumleft:
jtholman

Post by jtholman »

Thanks all for the comments and advice, the wheels are in today for refurb. should only take a couple of days. Gonna go with the t1-r's when I get them back, Should look good and handle pretty good too.

On a different note.. any body got any tip for re-proofing the roof? Recommended products etc.. Going to do mine now winters on it's way :(
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Good advice here - I've got the later 15/16" rims with Neovas. Grip and progression when they do let go is excellent, allows you to balance the car into 4 wheel drifts if really pushed hard and opposite lock just a throttle prod away.

Only thing is that this setup on a standard car can be a little understeery on the limit - on the road that's fine and easy to balance on the throttle but on track it can be a little annoying. They do get a little more noisy as they wear down but I'm just nit picking :)

For track use, I do have some 15" rims with Toyos - soft, seem OK but they have a lot less grip in the wet than the Neovas. Much more neutral though.

I did spot the new Toyo R1R's recently - not sure if they have anything in the right size for a Roadster though.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

jtholman wrote:
On a different note.. any body got any tip for re-proofing the roof? Recommended products etc.. Going to do mine now winters on it's way :(

Halfords wheel dressing :-#
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

There is specific convertable roof stuff out there - look for a supplier called serious performance, I think I had something from them before.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

If you want newer looking wheels have you considered a set from a later car? After '03 Mr T put a 16" rear on with a 15" front so staggered wheels in diameter as well as width. Looks good and probably available from a breaking car somewhere.

R.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”